Abraham Orthalia ( Latin Abraham Ortelius , niderl. Abraham Ortels or Abraham Hortels ; April 14, 1527 - June 28, 1598 ) is a South Dutch ( Flemish ) cartographer, author of the first in the history of geographical atlas of the modern type.
|the nether Abraham Ortels or Abraham Hortels|
Portrait of Abraham Ortelius
brushes of Peter Rubens
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
Ortelius compiled and published a new type of book - a geographical atlas of the world containing 70 maps and articles to them of a regional geographic nature, which was published in Antwerp on May 20, 1570  . The book was called Theatrum Orbis Terrarum ( Spectacle of the Circle of the Earth ), it was reprinted more than 40 times before 1624 in six European languages with a total circulation of about 7300 copies.
Along with Gerard Mercator, he played a crucial role in the development of cartography. Ortelius also owns the first detailed map of the Pacific (see Maris Pacifici ).
The French edition of the pocket format of his work was published under the title “Mirror of the World or Epitome of the Spectacle of Abraham Ortelius” ( fr. Le Miroir du Monde, ou, Epitomé du Theater d'Abraham Ortelius ; 1598)  .
Depicted on the 1942 Belgian stamp.
- Mercator Projection
- Yatsunsky V.K. Historical geography. The history of its origin and development in the XIV-XVIII centuries. - M .: Izd. Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 1955. - S. 102-131. - Circulation 4000 copies. (in the lane.)
- Kazakova N. А. Russian translation of the XVII century "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum" A. Orteliya // Auxiliary historical disciplines. - T. XVIII. - L .: Izd. "Science", 1987. - p. 121-131. (in the lane.)
- Marcel PR van den Broecke. Ortelius Atlas Maps. An illustrated Guide. - HES Publishers BV, 1996. - 308 P. - Circulation is not indicated. - ISBN 90 6194 308 6 . (in trans. and dust jacket).
- Amsterdam University Library - Abraham Ortelius online exhibit
- Cartographica neerlandica
- Theatrvm orbis terrarvm / in the Library of Congress