Boris Mikhailovich Lyapunov ( July 25 [ August 6 ], 1862 , Bolobonovo, now Pilninsky District, Nizhny Novgorod Region - February 22, 1943 , Borovoe, Akmola Region , Kazakh SSR ) - Russian and Soviet linguist - Slavist  .
|Boris Mikhailovich Lyapunov|
|Date of Birth||July 25 ( August 6 ) 1862|
|Place of Birth||Bolobonovo, Kurmysh district , Simbirsk province , Russian empire|
|Date of death||February 22, 1943 (aged 80)|
|A place of death||Borovoe , Akmola region , Kazakh SSR , USSR|
|A country||Russian Empire → the USSR|
|Scientific field||linguistics , slavistics|
|Place of work||Novorossiysk University , Leningrad State University|
|Alma mater||Petersburg University|
Corresponding Member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1907). Academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences (1923) and the Polish Academy of Sciences (1930), corresponding member of the Bulgarian (1932) and Czech (1934) Academies of Sciences.
The son of an astronomer M.V. Lyapunov , brother of the mathematician A.M. Lyapunov and composer S.M. Lyapunov . He graduated from St. Petersburg University (1885), professor at Novorossiysk University (Odessa) (1901-1924) and Leningrad State University (1924-1929). Pupil A.A. Potebni , I.V. Yagich , follower of A.A. Shakhmatov . Specialist in the history of the Russian language, comparative grammar of Slavic languages , etymology , dialectology , lexicography . Lyapunov defended the concept of the Pre-Slavic language, which has since gained recognition, as a continuum of dialects - “linguistic areas” with its own phonetic and morphological features, and rejected the existence of three proto-languages of each branch of Slavism (“pro-Western Slavic”, etc.). Applied the principles of linguistic geography to the pre-Slavic space.
Lyapunov, apparently, was the first to pay attention to the phenomena of the absence of a second palatalization in the Old Novgorod dialect (the thesis subsequently developed by S. M. Gluskina and A. A. Zaliznyak ).
- Lyapunov // Small Encyclopedic Dictionary of Brockhaus and Efron : in 4 volumes - St. Petersburg. 1907-1909.
- S. B. Bernstein . Boris Mikhailovich Lyapunov. " Questions of linguistics ", 1958, No. 2 (incl. Bibliography)
- S.P. Obnorsky . In memory of Academician B. M. Lyapunov // S.P. Obnorsky. Selected works in the Russian language. M., 1960.
- Profile of Boris Mikhailovich Lyapunov on the official website of the RAS
- Detailed biography of Boris Mikhailovich Lyapunov on the official website of the RAS