Ashagi-Aylis ( Azerba . Aşağı Əylis - Lower Ailis) is a village, in the past a large medieval city on the territory of the modern Ordubad district of the Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic 3-3.5 km west of Ordubad .
|Azerb. Aşağı Əylis|
|Autonomous Republic||Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic|
|History and geography|
|Former names||Agulis, Lower Akulis|
|Timezone||UTC + 4 , in the summer UTC + 5|
The city was located in the middle of the east and west by rocky mountains, stretching from north to south in the valley of the river Agulis in its middle reaches, in the territory of the modern villages Yukhary — Aylis (Upper Agulis) and Ashagy – Aylis (Lower Agulis). The length from north to south was 6-7 km, and from west to east - 1-1.5 km.
According to the Armenian legend, the apostle Thaddeus spent one night in the city, who woke up with the words “Akn and Luys” (here’s the dawn, the letter о light of the eye), later the village began to be called Agulis ( Armenian ո )  . Agulis was also called Igulis, Yugyalis, Ugyulis, Igalis, Egalis in Armenian. According to the most common version, the toponym “Agulis” (“Agulik”) dates back to Armenian Aygeok-Lik ( Armenian յգեոք ) - full of gardens  .
In ancient times, the territory of Agulis was a part of Gavar Goghtn in different periods belonging to the region of Syunik in Great Armenia or to the region of Vaspurakan . In the 5th century, Koryun in the travel stories of Mesrop Mashtots mentioned his visit to the capital  Gavt Goghtn, meaning by this most likely Agulis  .
In the Middle Ages, Agulis was a center of writing and a trading center that had major ties with Russian and Western European merchants. In the X — XIII centuries, Agulis is experiencing dawn at the same time as Ani, Kars and other Armenian cities.
Under the name Agulis, the city has been mentioned since the XI century . In 1010, the Catholicos Sarkis called the city "Argulik", the same name is used in the XIII century Stepanos Orbelian   .
In the 17th century, Zakaria Aguletsi called him “Dasht”  . After the destruction of Jugha, Agulis became a large city, whose population reached 10 thousand people by the end of the XVII century. Here at the monastery school of sv. Apostle Thomas, the founder of the famous Ovnatanyan artists, a prominent Armenian artist and ashug Nagash Ovnatan , received his education. 
In the middle of the 18th century , the city of Akulis, being a major trading center of the Transcaucasus, was ravaged and plundered by Azad Khan . As a result, a large number of Armenians died of hunger, and many Armenians were forced to leave the city 
By the end of the 19th century, there were 11 churches here: the monastery of St. Tovma, St. Christopher , St. Hovhannes, St. Hakob Airapetac, St. Stepanos, and others. The Aguletsots temple in Shusha was also built by people from the city.
It was destroyed in 1919  .
The indigenous people of Akulis are Armenians speaking a special Zok dialect. According to Nicholas Marr, the Scythians who came from the north, mixed with the indigenous population in the VIII — VII centuries BC, had an influence on the isolation of the Zok. er  In 1711, German Orientalist Johann Joachim Schroeder, in his book The Treasury of the Armenian Language, reports on the Agulis dialect of the Armenian language  .
The population in the years 1829-1832 - 459, 1897 - 990, 1906 - 1254 people  .
According to the census of 1897, 649 people lived in Nizhniy Akulis, all Armenians. In Upper Akulis, 1325 Armenians and 639 Azerbaijanis  (The source mentioned by the Tatars, in the XIX - early XX century in the Russian Empire, Azerbaijanis were called "Azerbaydzhantsy"  , "Caucasian" or "Azerbaijani Tatars").
The population of modern Ailis is made up of Azerbaijanis , the main occupation of the population is agriculture.
- A.T. Gkhanalanyan “Armenian legends” Publishing house of the Armenian SSR Academy of Sciences, 1979 page 131
CITY AGULIS Here, among these stone works, the apostle Thaddeus slept for one night. In the morning he woke up with the words: “Akn and Luys” (here is the dawn, the beech, the eye of the light); later they became the name of the city of Agulis.
- Argam Ayvazyan. Agulis: Historical and Cultural Monuments, “Hayastan”, Yerevan, 1984.
- Koryun mentioned the word “horostak”, which according to N. Marr and Acharyan means “the capital of Gavar or Naang”
- Stepanos Orbelian. History of Syunik. - Yer. : Sovietak Groch, 1986.
884. ա Գողթնի նշանավոր Ագուլիս ավանն է
- See Comm. 9 to the “ Diary of Zakaria Akulisky ”
- V.Nalbandyan, S.Sarinyan, S.Aghghabian "Armenian literature" Publishing House Higher School, 1976. page 135
Ovnatan was born in the Armenian province of Yernjak, in the trading town of Short, in the family of a priest. After receiving primary education from his father, he enters the school at the monastery of the Apostle Thomas in Agulis.
- A.L. Sidorov and B.D. Grekov "Historical Notes" Publishing House of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 1960 page 252
The city of Akulis, the Transcaucasian shopping center, was ravaged by the Afghans of Azad Khan, and many Armenians were forced to emigrate to Turkey; a lot of people died of hunger
- Dictionary of place names in Armenia and adjacent areas . - Yer. : Ed. Yer. state University, 1986. - T. 1. - p. 27.
- News Azcomstaris, vol. 4th. Baku, 1929. Pp. 160
- G. B. Jaukian . Linguistics in Armenia in the 5th — 18th centuries // History of linguistic teachings / Otv. ed. A.V. Desnitskaya , S.D. Katsnelson . - L .: Science, 1981. - p. 13.
- The first general census of the population of the Russian empire of 1897. “Populated places of the Russian empire with 500 or more inhabitants, indicating the total population in them and the number of inhabitants of the prevailing faiths, according to the first general census of 1897,” St. Petersburg, 1905 p. 52
- ESBE / Persians