Evgraf Romanovich Reiter , aka Gerhardt-Wilhelm von Reuter ( German: Gerhardt Wilhelm von Reutern ; July 17, 1794 , Rösthof estate near Valka , Livonia province - March 22, 1865 , Frankfurt am Main ) - Russian - German artist, Academician of art . A friend of Goethe and Ludivig Grimm .
|Evgraf Romanovich Reiter|
|him. Gerhardt Wilhelm von Reutern|
Portrait of the artist Evgraf Romanovich Reiter work  T. Hildebrandt , 1838. The State Russian Museum ( St. Petersburg )
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
|Ranks||Academician of IAH (1835)|
Originally from a noble Ostseey family ; his father Christopher Hermann Reiter (1744-1802) - chamberlain of the Saxon court . Having received a general education at the school at the Lutheran Church of Saints Peter and Paul in St. Petersburg , he listened to lectures at the University of Derpt for a year, and in 1811 he entered the military service.
In 1813 - 1815 he served in the Alexandrian Hussar Regiment with the rank of lieutenant , participated in the overseas campaign of the Russian army; in the Battle of the Peoples near Leipzig he lost his right hand. In the summer of 1814 , while in Weimar , Reiter met Goethe ; renewing his acquaintance in 1815 in Heidelberg and in 1817 in Jena , entered into correspondence with him. Goethe recognized Reiter’s talent as an artist and advised him to take up painting seriously.
Having recovered from a serious wound, Reiter settled in Willingshausen , in 1820 he married Charlotte von Schwertzell. In 1825, together with Ludwig Grimm (brother of the famous philologists Jacob and Wilhelm ), he founded the "Willenshausen Colony of Artists". For some time he worked as a self-taught artist , then studied painting in Berne , Kassel and Dusseldorf ; painted mainly genre paintings . In early 1832, Reitern created a small series of watercolors depicting the lower ranks of the Russian Imperial Guard . This series is distinguished by realism in the image of ordinary soldiers, written with great warmth.
In 1837 he became a court artist of the Russian imperial court , received an honorary pension; created paintings on biblical subjects, of which the painting “ Abraham Sacrifices Isaac ” ( 1849 ) was particularly successful. He alternately lived in Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and Russia (coming to his Livonia estate and St. Petersburg ), from 1844 he finally settled in Frankfurt am Main . He worked, as necessary, with his left hand.
- Elizabeth (1821-1856); in 1841 she married a close friend of Reiter V.A. Zhukovsky .
- Alexander (1824-1879); was lieutenant general and Tauride governor.
- Charlotte (1826—?); was married to Julius von Wulf.
- Vasily (Wilhelm) Evgrafovich (1829-1897); Privy Councilor, author of the Collection of Legalizations on Peasants of the Baltic Provinces (1860).
- Evgraf Evgrafovich (1836-1918) - herald master, senator, member of the Society for the Promotion of Arts , a collector of paintings  .
Brother Christopher participated with honors in the Napoleonic Wars , then commanded the cavalry divisions. Nephew, Mikhail Khristoforovich , was Minister of Finance of the Russian Empire .
At the Willenshausen Cemetery (1842)
Peasant woman from Willenshausen with a sleeping child (1843)
Abraham sacrifices Isaac (1849)
Holy Family (1858)
Private Life Guards of the Semenov Regiment Yekimenko (1832)
Private Life Guards Pavlovsky Regiment (1832)
- State Russian Museum. Painting XVIII — beginning of XX century Catalog / Ed. Pushkareva V.A .. - L .: Aurora, Art, 1980. - P. 92, cat. No. 1398.
- Maykov P. M. Reiter, Evgraf (Gergard) Romanovich // Russian Biographical Dictionary
- Gerhardt Wilhelm von Reutern
- Benezit Dictionary of Artists
- RGIA F. 1034 Op. 1. (inaccessible link)
- Maykov P. M. Reiter, Evgraf (Gergard) Romanovich // Russian Biographical Dictionary : in 25 volumes. - SPb. - M. , 1896-1918.
- Somov A.I. Reitern, Evgraf Romanovich // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- Vollmer, Hans. Allgemeines Lexikon der Bildenden Künstler. - VEB EA Seemann Verlag Leipzig, 28. Band, S. 200-201, ISBN 3-423-05907-9 (German)
- Reitern Gallery of Paintings (link not available)