Evros  ( Greek Νομός Έβρου ) is one of the nomes of the Republic of Greece , which is part of the periphery of East Macedonia and Thrace , in the historical and cultural region of West Thrace . The nominee got his name from the Greek name of the Maritsa River - Evros.
|Greek Νομός Έβρου|
|History and Geography|
|Square||4241,615  km²|
|Population||147 947  people ( 2011 )|
|Density||34.88  people / km²|
|ISO 3166-2 Code||GR-72|
|Postal codes||68x xx|
|Auto Code numbers||EB, OP|
The administrative division into nomes was abolished in 2010 under the Kallikratis program .
Area - 4241.615 square kilometers  (one of the largest nomes of Greece). The administrative center of Noma is the city of Alexandroupoli . Other important cities: Didimothihon , Orestias , Souflion and Fere .
The Christian population is represented almost exclusively by Greeks (95%), most of whom are the second or fourth generation of Greek refugees from Asia Minor and East Thrace . Muslims make up 5% of the district’s population. At the same time, half of them are of Turkish origin and half are of Bulgarian origin ( Pomaks ). Most Muslims are Turks with a native Turkish, 10% of the Noma population and 20% of Muslims are Pomaks , a group with a native Bulgarian, but strongly denied because of the discriminatory policies of the Greek authorities. There are some gypsies .
According to Dimarch Alexandroupolis Evangelos Lambakis ( Ευάγγελος Λαμπάκης ), about 10% of the Noma’s population is Russian-speaking, the authorities plan to build an Orthodox church for Russian-speaking parishioners  .
In recent years, Evros has become a kind of transit point for the flow of migrants from North Africa and the Middle East to the European Union  .
The region is dominated mainly by the Mediterranean climate , cooler in the northern part.
Recently, the government has been making some efforts to develop its economy.
There are two national parks of European significance on the territory of Noma:
- Dadya-Lefkimi-Souflion National Park . It has been declared a reserve since 1980 .
The planned Russian-Bulgarian-Greek oil pipeline Burgas - Alexandroupolis, according to the initial project, also passed through the park. Public organizations insist that he go around the park.
- National Park "Delta Evrosa" . The Evros Delta is protected by the Ramsar Convention .
- Απογραφή πληθυσμού - κατοικιών της 18ης μαρτίου 2001 (μόνιμος πληθυσμός) (Greek) . - Πειραιάς: Εθνική στατιστική υπηρεσία της Ελλάδας , 2009. - Τ. I. - Σ. 331 . - ISSN 1106-5761 .
- Δελτίο τύπου. Ανακοίνωση των αποτελεσμάτων της Απογραφής Πληθυσμού-Κατοικιών 2011 για το Μόνιμο Πληθυσμό της Χώρας (Greek) . Ελληνική Στατιστική Αρχή (28 Δεκεμβρίου 2012). Date of treatment June 4, 2017.
- Greece: Reference card: Scale 1: 1,000,000 / hl ed. Y. A. Topchiyan ; Ed .: G. A. Skachkova , N. N. Ryumin . - M .: Roskartografiya, Omsk Cartographic Factory , 2001. - (The countries of the world "Europe"). - 2000 copies.
- The authorities of one of the regions of Greece will build a temple for Russian-speaking believers . NEWSru.com (November 26, 2015). Date of treatment November 8, 2018.
- Flüchtlingshölle Griechenland (German) . Play SRF (17. November 2010). Date of treatment November 8, 2018.