Cape Schmidt is an urban-type settlement in the Iultinsky district of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug of Russia .
|Subject of the federation||Chukotka Autonomous Okrug|
|History and Geography|
|Timezone||UTC + 12|
|Population||↘ 130  people ( 2019 )|
|Telephone code||+7 42739|
Named in honor of Arctic explorer Otto Yulievich Schmidt  .
Located on the shores of the Chukchi Sea , on the cape of the same name , 650 km north of Anadyr . The nearest settlement is the national village of Ryrkaipiy .
Cape Otto Schmidt  - a cape on the shore of the Chukchi Sea, near the Long Strait.
The cape was first described in August 1778 by the English explorer James Cook and named by him the North Cape (“northern cape”), since it was the northernmost of the points he reached. The local name of this cape - Ir-Kappeya (translated from Chukchi “walrus constipation”) was recorded in 1823 by the Russian navigator Ferdinand Petrovich Wrangel.
In 1934, the cape was renamed in honor of the outstanding Soviet polar explorer Otto Schmidt.
The status of an urban-type settlement has been since 1962.
From 1973 to 2008, it was the administrative center of the Shmidtovsky district until its abolition.
There were industrial enterprises of local importance, a hydrometeorological station. Military units were deployed.
In 1976, to cover the electricity shortage, a floating turbine station PlES-4 of the Northern Lights project with a total capacity of 24 MW was delivered to a small bay near the village. In 1999, the station was towed to Nadym .
Until the early 2000s, the troposphere radio relay station 18/103 Reducer (Rubin) was operating near the village  . In 2014, the station’s antennas were dismantled.
|1970 ||1979 ||1989 ||2002 ||2006 ||2009 ||2010 |
|1818||↗ 3307||↗ 4587||↘ 705||↘ 546||↘ 492||→ 492|
|2011 ||2012 ||2013 ||2014 ||2015 ||2016 ||2017 |
|↗ 1057||↘ 412||↘ 324||↘ 238||↘ 166||↘ 155||↘ 144|
|2018 ||2019 |
|↘ 140||↘ 130|
In connection with the cessation of production, the population of the village over the past 20 years has decreased by more than 10 times.
The delivery of food, fuel and logistics is mainly carried out during the summer navigation through the seaport of Cape Schmidt . In 2006, it became part of the Pevek seaport as a cargo section.
There is a year-round gravel road with the village of Ryrkaipiy , on which regular bus service is established. The village is connected by a seasonal winter road to the Iultin-Egvekinot highway .
Passenger traffic is carried out by air through the Cape Schmidt airport .
In 1991, an Orthodox parish was opened in the village, a few years later the Orthodox Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin was founded  .
The former Chukchi bishop of the Russian Orthodox Church Diomid (Dziuban) lives in the village.
From 1930 to 2002, a secondary school operated in the village. After its closure, the children were sent to a school in the village of Ryrkaipiy  .
In 2013, the authorities of the Chukotka Autonomous Region decided to organize the resettlement of the village residents in other, more favorable places of residence. This was due to the serious deterioration of the housing stock and social infrastructure and the high costs of their maintenance, and most importantly, the lack of prospects for the development of the village   .
In 2014, the restoration of the military infrastructure of the Cape Schmidt airfield was announced  . More than 1.5 billion rubles were allocated for infrastructure development. In October 2014, at the Cape Schmidt, the units of the Eastern Military District entered combat training on protecting the air borders of the Russian Federation. In November of the same year, a modular residential unit for military personnel was put into operation  .
In July 2015, the Spetsstroy of Russia announced plans to fully equip a military camp and infrastructure at Cape Schmidt by the end of the year, which will be used as one of the basing centers of the Pacific Fleet , officially created on December 1, 2014   .
|Climate of Cape Schmidt|
|Absolute maximum, ° C||9.8||5.2||8.9||8.1||19.1||28.3||32,4||30,2||23.7||11.9||8.6||6.9||32,4|
|Average maximum, ° C||−22.6||−22.4||−19.4||−13||−2||5.7||8.7||7.4||3.2||−4.4||−11.9||−19.4||−7.5|
|Average temperature, ° C||−25.6||−25.7||−23.6||−17.1||−5.1||2.2||4.8||3.9||0.6||−7||−14.9||−22.3||−10.8|
|Average minimum ° C||−29.1||−29.2||−27.2||−21.4||−8.2||−0.3||2.1||1.7||−1.5||−9.9||−18.1||−25.6||−13.9|
|Absolute minimum, ° C||−45.7||−46.1||−45.7||−39||−32.5||−11.3||−4.7||−7.1||−17.8||−37||−39.6||−45.4||−46.1|
|Precipitation rate, mm||14||14||eight||eleven||15||17||31||40||36||31||27||18||262|
|Source: Weather and climate . www.pogoda.ru.net . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.|
On July 31, 1998, arrested soldiers from a military unit, together with 13 repeat offenders, organized an escape from a local temporary detention center , killing two police officers. The criminals seized the village police station with the weapons there, the military unit’s warehouse, the hostages were taken, the gas station and the store were looted, after which the armed detachment on stolen vehicles went towards the neighboring village of Leningradsky . After several days of persecution after an unsuccessful assault, some of the criminals were killed, some were captured; In the course of a long battle, 6 law enforcement officers died    .
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia : [in 30 vol.] / Ch. ed. A.M. Prokhorov . - 3rd ed. - M .: Soviet Encyclopedia, 1969-1978.
- terrus.ru - database of Russia . web.archive.org . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- The attack of a polar bear on a person on Schmidt . piter.tv . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- Nature and locality on youtube . www.youtube.com . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- Cape Schmidt in Chukotka or where can a tourist become a “breakfast”?
- Population of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug by municipalities as of January 1, 2019
- Leontyev V.V. , Novikova K.A. Toponymic Dictionary of the North-East of the USSR / scientific. ed. G. A. Menovschikov ; FEB AN USSR . North-East complex. Research institutes. Lab archeology, history and ethnography. - Magadan: Magad. Prince Publishing House , 1989 .-- S. 262. - 456 p. - 15,000 copies. - ISBN 5-7581-0044-7 .
- In some publications, the name is simply indicated as Cape Schmidt , which is wrong: the name of the scientist included in the name of the cape allows us to distinguish it from Cape Schmidt in the Kara Sea , named after Academician F. B. Schmidt , as well as from Cape Schmidt in Japanese the sea named for Admiral V.P. Schmidt .
- TRRL “North” . www.trrlsever.org . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- 1970 All-Union Population Census. The number of urban population of the RSFSR, its territorial units, urban settlements and urban areas by gender. . Demoscope Weekly. Date of treatment September 25, 2013. Archived on April 28, 2013.
- 1979 All-Union Population Census. The number of urban population of the RSFSR, its territorial units, urban settlements and urban areas by gender. . Demoscope Weekly. Date of treatment September 25, 2013. Archived on April 28, 2013.
- 1989 All-Union Population Census. The urban population . Archived on August 22, 2011.
- 2002 All-Russian Population Census. Tom. 1, table 4. The population of Russia, federal districts, constituent entities of the Russian Federation, regions, urban settlements, rural settlements - district centers and rural settlements with a population of 3 thousand or more . Archived February 3, 2012.
- Arctic and Antarctic countries
- The territorial planning scheme of the Iulta municipal district of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug. Population dynamics by years 2009-2013 . Date of treatment March 26, 2015. Archived March 26, 2015.
- Population of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, urban districts, municipalities, urban and rural settlements. Results of the 2010 All-Russian Population Census . Date of treatment November 25, 2014. Archived November 25, 2014.
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities. Table 35. Estimated resident population as of January 1, 2012 . Date of treatment May 31, 2014. Archived May 31, 2014.
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2013. - M.: Federal State Statistics Service of Rosstat, 2013. - 528 p. (Table 33. The population of urban districts, municipalities, urban and rural settlements, urban settlements, rural settlements) . Date of treatment November 16, 2013. Archived November 16, 2013.
- Table 33. The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2014 . Date of treatment August 2, 2014. Archived on August 2, 2014.
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2015 . Date of treatment August 6, 2015. Archived on August 6, 2015.
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2016
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2017 (July 31, 2017). Date of treatment July 31, 2017. Archived July 31, 2017.
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2018 . Date of treatment July 25, 2018. Archived July 26, 2018.
- Anadyr and Chukotka diocese . www.anadyr-eparhia.ru . Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- MBOU "Center for the Education of the Village of Ryrkaipiy" . schoolshmidt.ru . Date accessed June 1, 2019. (unavailable link)
- The population leaves the Chukchi village Cape Schmidt . DV-ROSS (July 17, 2013). Date of treatment October 20, 2013.
- Decree of the Government of the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug of 04.17.2013 No. 140 . www.regionz.ru . The appeal date is June 1, 2019. “On approval of the regional target program“ Providing social support measures to citizens leaving Cape Shmidt, Chukotka Autonomous Okrug in 2013 ”.”
- Restoration of airfields in the Arctic . ITAR-TASS (August 11, 2014). Date of treatment August 14, 2014.
- History of the base on Schmidt Island // Newspaper "Kommersant". - 2015-06-11. - Vol. 204 . - S. 6 .
- Spetsstroy of Russia: about 1.5 thousand workers are building military facilities in six points of the Arctic . tass.ru. Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- military of the Russian Federation settled the second town in the Arctic - at Cape Schmidt . ria.ru. Date of treatment June 1, 2019.
- New Story: Battle at the End of the World (inaccessible link) . Mining region (February 1, 2009). Date of treatment October 20, 2013. Archived December 11, 2014.
- M. Molotov. Fight in the tundra (inaccessible link) . "Daily News" (September 17, 1999). Date of treatment January 24, 2016. Archived January 31, 2016.
- Weekly war on Cape Schmidt . Labor (6-08-1998).