Truth in Numbers: The Story of Wikipedia ( Truth in Numbers? Everything, According to Wikipedia ) is an American documentary that explores the history of Wikipedia’s Internet encyclopedia and the cultural implications of its emergence. The film tries to answer the question of whether all types of individuals or only specialists and experts should be entrusted with editing the encyclopedia. The film tells about the history and situation on Wikipedia, gives comments from the founders of Wikipedia Jimbo Wales and Larry Sanger . The film’s commentators include such people as Howard Zinn , of The Washington Post , of CBS News , former Encyclopædia Britannica director and former CIA director Robert James Wolsey . The documentary discusses incidents that reveal the negative side of Wikipedia, including scandals about Essjay and Saygentaler .
|Truth in numbers: Wikipedia story|
|Truth in Numbers? Everything, According to Wikipedia|
|Producer||Michael Ferris Gibson|
|In the main|
|Jimmy Wales |
Robert James Wolsey
$ 55,134 43
The idea of creating a documentary was voiced by film producer Michael Ferris Gibson, known for his work 24 Hours on Craigslist . Gibson contacted Nick Hill and funded his travels with Jimbo Wales. Filming began in August 2006 at Wikimania- 2006. Hill and Wales traveled to China , Indonesia , India , South Africa , Australia and Europe to interview Wikipedia participants for a documentary. Scott Glosserman signed a contract for the film and contacted the creators to ensure the creative focus of the project. The filmmakers reoriented their efforts to answer the question of how Wikipedia represents the truth.
The film was first shown at Wikimania 2010, held in Gdansk in July 2010, and was shown at the in New York in October 2010. “Truth in Numbers?” Was shown as part of the Savannah Film Festival on November 3, 2010. The film received positive reviews from critics, with favorable comments from Ted Leonison and in the publication AOL Urlesque .
The film  tells about the history of the Wikipedia Internet encyclopedia and the cultural consequences of its appearance  . Wikipedia in the documentary is presented as a new form of communication and cultural dialogue  . The creators of the documentary tried to answer the question “Should you and I share human knowledge with everyone or should we leave it to the experts?”  .
The film also covers the biography of one of the founders of Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales  . Wales appears in the film, discussing with an Indian reader pointing out an inaccuracy in one of the Wikipedia articles in Hindi  . Wales answers “Then change it” and shows the reader how to click on the “Edit” button on Wikipedia. Wikipedia co-founder Larry Sanger is also featured in a documentary, where he critically speaks of Wikipedia equality for ordinary editors and experts  .
- Hart, Hugh . Industry Buzz , San Francisco Chronicle , www.sfgate.com (March 11, 2007). Date of appeal September 19, 2010.
- Midterm Madness. Wikipedia Exposed: Scott Glosserman on his Provocative Documentary , IndieWire , www.indiewire.com (October 21, 2010). Date of treatment October 27, 2010.
- Wikipedia, le film , Premiere.fr , www.premiere.fr (February 5, 2009). Date of treatment November 10, 2010.
- Haines, Lester . Reg hack gives forth in Wikipedia doco , The Register , www.theregister.co.uk (July 16, 2010). Date of treatment November 10, 2010.
- Staff . Wikipedia Documentary "Truth in Numbers?" Shot with Panasonic P2 , Videography , www.videography.com (September 25, 2008). Archived July 28, 2011. Date accessed November 10, 2010. alternate link
- Hamann, Mathias . Woodstock im Schatten der Zensur (German) , Süddeutsche Zeitung , Munich , Germany: Südwestdeutsche Medienholding (July 12, 2010).
- Wiki movie stirs geeky trouser worms (The English) , The Inquirer , www.theinquirer.net (August 6, 2007). Date of treatment November 10, 2010.
- Full Truth in Numbers movie ? Everything, According to Wikipedia on YouTube (in Russian)
- Facebook official page
- Official Website , glenechoent.com
- Official website , underdogpictures.com
- Truth in Numbers: The Wikipedia Story on the Internet Movie Database
- An article ad podtech.com
- Movie trailer with Russian subtitles