Henry Edward Gordon Craig .
|Edward Gordon Craig|
|English Edward gordon craig|
|Birth name||Edward godwin|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth|
|Date of death|
|Place of death||Vence , Alpes-Maritimes , France|
actor , theater director , opera director , artist , theater theorist
|Years of activity||1889-1912|
|Performances||Hamlet , Dido and Aeneas|
The illegitimate son of architect Edward Godwin and actress Ellen Terry . He performed on the stage since 1889 . He worked in the troupe of Henry Irving . He staged performances in theaters of Berlin , Florence , Moscow . He was close to Isadora Duncan , who introduced him to K. S. Stanislavsky . Stanislavsky invited Craig to stage Hamlet at the Art Theater ( 1911 ). Collaborated with Yates .
In 1893, Craig married Helen Mary (May) Gibson, with whom he had five children: Philip Carlyle (born 1894), Rosemary Nell (born 1894), Henry Edward Robin (born 1895), John (born 1896) and Peter (born 1897).
In 1904, Craig met the dancer Isadora Duncan and they had a daughter.
His granddaughter is illustrator and author Helen Craig.
He was fond of puppet and mask theater. Adherent of the idea of a director's theater, he developed and introduced the concept of “ puppet actor”.
- On the art of the theater ( 1911 , reprinted many times)
- Towards a new theater ( 1913 , reprinted many times)
Publications in Russian
- Theater Art / Translation edited by V.P. Lachinov . - SPb. : Publisher N.I. Butkovskaya , 1912.
- Memories, articles, letters . - M .: Art, 1988.
- Index to the annals of my days. 1872-1907 / Translation and commentary. K. N. Atarova. - M .: Artist. Producer. Theater, 2013 .-- 512 p.
Recognition and Rewards
- Order of the British Empire
- Order of the Knights of Honor ( 1958 ).
- BNF identifier : Open Data Platform
- Edward Gordon Craig
- Encyclopædia Britannica
- Edward Gordon Craig
- German National Library , Berlin State Library , Bavarian State Library , etc. Record # 118677233 // General regulatory control (GND)
- artist list of the National Museum of Sweden
- Craig / V.I. Maksimov // Epiphany - Swallows. - M .: Great Russian Encyclopedia, 2010. - S. 171–172. - (The Great Russian Encyclopedia : [in 35 vols.] / Ch. Ed. Yu. S. Osipov ; 2004—2017, vol. 16). - ISBN 978-5-85270-347-7 .
- Bablet D. Edward Gordon Craig . Paris: L'Arche, 1962 (several editions, transl. In English)
- Steegmuller F. "Your Isadora": the love story of Isadora Duncan & Gordon Craig . - New York: Random House, 1974 .
- Eynat-Confino I. Beyond the mask: Gordon Craig , movement, and the actor. - Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, 1987 .
- Bachelis T. Shakespeare and Craig . - M .: Science , 1983 . - 352 p.
- Vlas Mikhailovich Doroshevich. "Hamlet"