The island of Pioneer is an island in the northwestern part of the Severnaya Zemlya archipelago ( Russia ), in the Kara Sea . Administratively refers to the Taimyr Dolgan-Nenets district of the Krasnoyarsk Territory .
|Highest point||385 m|
|Population||0 pax (2010)|
|Water area||Kara Sea|
|The subject of the Russian Federation||Krasnoyarsk region|
Located in the western part of the archipelago. From the Komsomolets island in the northeast it is separated by the Young strait 4-9 kilometers wide, from the October Revolution island in the southeast it is separated by the 9-14 km wide Red Army strait. The area of the island is 1522 km²  . It is slightly elongated from the northwest to the southeast, with a length of 58 kilometers and a width of 25 kilometers in the central part and up to 40 kilometers in the eastern part. In the southeastern part there is a peninsula about 7 kilometers long and 5 kilometers wide, bending to the west and, together with the adjoining island of Krupskaya , forming Kalinin Bay . The bends of the western coast form two more small bays - Svetlaya Bay and Lunnaya Bay .
The coast of the island is mostly flat with rare low cliffs . The northern shore is uneven, forms many capes and small bays , the eastern and southern ones are relatively even with small narrow bays at the places where the rivers flow into the sea. Most of the island's major rivers: the Misty , Fang , Vernaya , Ambulance , Downed , Buyanka , Struyka , Pionerka (30 km), Talkative and Kolevennaya (25 km) flow to the east and south coast. There are no large lakes on the island, the area of the largest does not exceed 2-3 km²  .
There are two large glaciers on Pioneer Island - Pioneer (round in shape, with a diameter of about 15 kilometers) in the northeastern part and Kroshka (2 by 1.5 kilometers) in the central part south of the lake, from which the Kolennaya River flows. The highest point of the island, 385 meters, is located on the Pioneer glacier, while the average height of the island is 40-90 meters. In general, the relief of the island belongs to the low hilly  .
Ice-covered areas of the island are not rich in vegetation , only 10% of the ice-free area is occupied by the Arctic tundra , the rest of the island is a clay-crushed-stone polar desert  with rare rocky placers. Vegetation is represented primarily by mosses and lichens .
It was discovered in June 1932 by the expedition of G. A. Ushakov , which was part of the expedition led by O. Yu. Schmidt , on the icebreaker “ George Sedov ”.  On December 1, 2006, at a plenary meeting of the district Duma of the Taimyr okrug , a resolution was adopted according to which it is proposed to return the former name to the archipelago, and rename some of the islands. The island of Pioneer was proposed to be called the island of St. Tatiana  . However, after the unification of the Krasnoyarsk Territory and, thus, after the abolition of the Taimyr District, the regional Legislative Assembly did not support this initiative  .
Other island features
- The Krugovaya River is a river in the northwestern part of the peninsula with a mouth in Svetloy Bay.
- Cape Budennogo is the northeastern end of the island. Length - 5 kilometers, width - up to a kilometer. In the eastern part of the cliff 3 meters high. On a small rock at the end of the cape at an altitude of 19 meters there is a geodetic point .
- Cape Hilly - a cape in the northwestern part of the island juts into the Young Strait.
- Cape of Expectations is the easternmost point of the island.
- Chapaev Cliff - located in the southwestern part of the island. With a height of 88 meters is the highest non-glacial point of the island.
- Klyuv Bay is a small bay in the north-eastern part of Kalinin Bay.
- Cape Dzerzhinsky - located in the southwestern part of the island. The height of the cliff in this place is 3 meters.
- Cape Nakhodka - located 2.3 kilometers north of Cape Dzerzhinsky, in the southern part of Lunnaya Bay.
- Cape Zapadny is a cape on the opposite shore of Lunnaya Bay from Cape Nakhodka. Cliff 6 meters high.
Nearby Small Islands
- Kaplya Island is a small, about 300 meters in length, island off the coast of Pioneer Island in the area of Cape Kholmisty .
- Poputny Island is a rocky island 4 kilometers long and up to 1.4 kilometers wide, 650 meters north of Pioneer Island.
- Krupskaya Island is a large island in the northern part of Kalinin Bay , separated from Pioneer Island by the Lodochny Strait . Dimensions - 17 kilometers in length and up to 8 kilometers in width.
- Map sheet U-46-XXXI, XXXII, XXXIII hall. Kovalevskaya . Scale: 1: 200,000. Status of the area for 1988. 1993 Edition - Northwest
- Map sheet U-46-XXXIV, XXXV, XXXVI ic. Separate . Scale: 1: 200,000. Status of the area for 1988. 1993 Edition - Northeast End
- Map sheet T-46-IV, V, VI ic. Albanova . Scale: 1: 200 000. Status of the area for 1984-1988. 1992 Edition - Eastern
- Map sheet T-46-I, II, III Medium . Scale: 1: 200,000. Status of the area for 1988. 1993 Edition - Southwest
- VIVOS VOCO: L. M. Savatyugin, E. V. Shevnina, “Severnaya Zemlya: 90 years after discovery”
- TO THE HISTORY OF MAPPING THE CENTRAL PART OF THE SOVIET ARCTIC - Kapustin-Arctica Antarctica philatelia (Unavailable link) . Archived July 31, 2002.
- RELIEF - site about life on the arch-ge Severnaya Zemlya (Inaccessible link - history ) .
- History of the study of the North Earth
- Taimyr deputies approved the renaming of the Severnaya Zemlya Archipelago into the Land of Nicholas II
- Islands of contention