Claws Mail is an email client for Linux , Mac OS X and other UNIX-like operating systems, including the Maemo mobile platform. There is a port for the Windows operating system. It is distributed free of charge, under the GPL v.3 license .
|Developer||The Claws Mail Team, Hiroyuki Yamamoto|
|operating system||, , , , and|
|Interface languages||Russian and others|
Claws Mail has been in existence since April 2001. Originally named Sylpheed-Claws and changed its name to Claws Mail in November 2006. The main purpose of creating Sylpheed-Claws was to test the new features of the “progenitor” of another email client, Sylpheed , in order not to affect the stability of Sylpheed. The developers of Sylpheed-Claws regularly synchronized the code with Sylpheed, and the author of Sylpheed, Hiroyuki Yamamoto, used the new features he liked.
Initially, Sylpheed and Claws Mail were based on GTK 1. The work on GTK2 versions started in early 2003, and the first version of Sylpheed-Claws based on GTK2 was released in March 2005. Since then, the goals of Sylpheed and Sylpheed-Claws began to differ, and Sylpheed-Claws began to exist independently, the program was renamed Claws Mail.
Features of Claws Mail
- Fast easy full-fledged GUI client email.
- Supports basic mail exchange protocols ( POP3 , SMTP , IMAP4rev 1, NNTP , Usenet news, SSL ).
- Full support for GnuPG encryption.
- A system of plugins, including anti- spam , viewing PDF , PGP .
- The Notification plugin shows the notification icon in the system tray for new letters  .