An air car ( air car ) is a car with a pneumatic engine that uses compressed air for movement.
In the mid-end of the XIX century, the idea of using compressed air energy as a driving force in transport was widely distributed. Cars, trams, locomotives , etc. worked on compressed air. The peak of the spread of the use of pneumatic actuators occurs at the end of the XIX century. However, with the growth of oil production, the internal combustion engine for a long time replaced all other types of traction engines from vehicles, except electric ones. The pneumatic drive in transport was preserved only as a drive of auxiliary mechanisms: brakes, opening doors and others, where a large amount of energy is not required, but the use of a pneumatic drive is much more convenient than other drives.
Existing pneumatic vehicles today are either experimental models or special vehicles for operation in conditions in which the use of other types of engines is difficult: for example, in workshops with high fire and explosion hazard.
Device and principle of operation
In an air vehicle, energy is stored by forcing compressed air into cylinders. Through the air distribution system, he enters the air motor , which drives the car into motion.
Advantages and disadvantages
The disadvantage of a pneumatic car is its small power reserve. The main way to increase it is to increase the pressure of compressed air, however, this is due to the complication and appreciation of both cylinders and air distribution systems.
The first commercial airmobile (2004) was the Engineair buggy ( Australia ), capable of driving an hour (16 kilometers) at one gas station.
AIRPod (prototype, France)
The company Tata Motors (India) intends to collect up to 6 thousand pneumatic cars Air Car .  
Peugeot 2008 crossover with Hybrid Air system (expected to enter the market in 2016).  
In early October 2014, at the Paris Motor Show , the premiere of the Citroën C4 Cactus Airflow 2L based on an air-hybrid power unit, which will allow you to drive 100 km with just 2 liters of fuel, was premiered. [five]
The development in this area is engaged in the Luxembourg- French company Motor Development International (MDI). 
- Electric car ( electric car , electric ship )
- Hybrid car
- Hydrogen transport
- Jules Verne wrote about the distribution of cars in the future in compressed air in 1860 .
- Pneumatic drive
- Duhran Baranovsky
- Sustainable transport
- Tata's new creation rides in the air // auto.tsn.ua, April 6, 2014
- Ў-mobile: Belarusian scientists invented an environmentally friendly car that works in the air // TUT.BY
- Peugeot Hybrid Air, or Cars on compressed air will appear within two years // compulenta, 2014
- The French will create a car on compressed air // Lenta.ru , February 28, 2014
- New Citroen will ride compressed air Archived June 22, 2015 on Wayback Machine // CNews
- Americans want to launch a series of cars in the air // membrana.ru, February 29, 2008
- Ў-mobile: Belarusian scientists invented an environmentally friendly car that works in the air
- 5 things you should know about cars in compressed air
- Americans want to launch a series of cars in the air // membrana.ru , February 29, 2008
- World's First Air-Powered Car: Zero Emissions by Next Summer // Popular Mechanics
- Compressed air engine for a car // Ecoconceptcars.Ru