Rundi (self Burundi, Varundi) - the people of Africa, the main population of the Republic of Burundi . Closest to the people of Rwanda . The total number is about 7 million people (data for 2000) (Kurpatov 2000: 210).
|Abundance and area|
|Total: about 7 million (for 2000)|
| Burundi |
They speak Kirundi ( Bantu group ), most of the population is bilingual, the second language is French. Writing on the basis of the Latin alphabet (Karpushina 1965: 110).
More than half of the population are Christians (60% are Catholics, about 10% are Protestants). Almost a third of the population adheres to traditional beliefs - local autochthonous cults, ceremonies that include animism - faith in numerous spirits, the cult of mana - faceless supernatural power (Karpushina 1965: 126); among the pygmies is the cult of nature. A minor part of rundi is Sunni Muslim.
In the 19th century, rundi had an independent kingdom of Burundi, which in the 20th century passed to Germany, and later to Belgium. Currently, the rundi reside mainly also in Burundi; there is an outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo , Uganda , Rwanda and Tanzania . This is due to the historical conflicts between Tutsis and Hutus , the social and ethnic groups of Rundi. The clashes gradually turned into sharp military-political conflicts. Much of the Hutu, as a result of constant harassment and discrimination, have fled to Rwanda from Burundi over the past decades. The number of rundi in Burundi (according to 2000 data) is 4 million 530 thousand, in DRC - 1 million 500 thousand, in Uganda - 550 thousand, in Rwanda - 350 thousand people (Kurpatov 2000: 210).
- cattle breeding (about 15% of the population is Tutsi );
- agriculture (about 85% of the population - Hutu );
- hunting gathering (0,75% - pygmy tva ) (Karpushina 1965: 98).
The traditional dwelling of the Hutu is round huts with conical thatched roofs, the Tutsi have “ulate-shaped” wicker huts (similar to dwellings ha ), and the twa have small tents of branches and grass. The location of the houses is scattered.
Traditional food - porridge, soup, raw and baked bananas, fish, banana beer (Olderogge, Potekhin 1954: 205).
- weaving mats with red and black ornaments;
- weaving carpets with orange-red-black ornament;
- manufacture of clay products;
- tingles of beads and bones.
Rundi has a large number of ballads, original music and dancing (Karpushina 1965: 107).
- D.A. Olderogge, I.I. Potekhin. The peoples of Africa./ Ch. ed. S. Smirnov - Moscow: Publishing House of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1954. - p. 205–207.
- Kurpatov S. K. Rundi // Peoples and religions of the world . / ch. ed. V. A. Tishkov ; Editorial .: Artemova O. Yu., Artyunov S. A., Kozhansky A. N. - M.: The Great Russian Encyclopedia , 2000. - P. 210.
- Karpushina V. Ya. Burundi. - M .: Science, 1965. - p. 103-114.
- Karpushina V. Ya. Bujumbura. History and the present // Soviet ethnography . - 1966. - № 4. - p. 15-19.