Baik Kon U ( cor. 백건우 , born March 10, 1946 , Seoul , South Korea ) is a South Korean classical pianist .
He gave his first concert at the age of 10 accompanied by the Korean National Orchestra, performing the piano concert of Edvard Grieg . He studied in Korea, then in the Juilliard School , London and Italy, with such teachers as Rosina Levina , Wilhelm Kempf , Ilona Kabos , Guido Agost . In 1969 , he won the Gold Medal at the Busoni International Piano Competition in Bolzano (a similar award that rises above traditional awards was presented for the first and only time in the history of the competition), in 1971 he won the first prize of the Naumburgov competition of young performers .
He performed in such famous halls as the Carnegie Hall , Lincoln Center , Wigmore Hall , Berlin Philharmonic ; with such orchestras as the London Symphony Orchestra , BBC Symphony Orchestra , Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra , Russian National Orchestra , Orchestra of the St. Petersburg Philharmonic , Orchester de Paris , Ensemble Orchestral de Paris , Orchester National de France , Orchestra RAI Torino , Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra , the National Orchestra Polish Radio , English Chamber Orchestra ; with such conductors as Neville Marriner , Mikhail Pletnev , Maris Jansons , Lawrence Foster , James Conlon , Dmitry Kitaenko , John Nelson , Eliahu Inbal . Regular participant in many music festivals.
His repertoire is very diverse and sometimes unexpected. Author transcriptions of works by Liszt and Berlioz .
Lives in Paris, artistic director of the Music Festival on the Emerald Coast in Dinard ( France ), since 2000 - holder of the Order of Arts and Literature ( France ). In September 2000, he became the first Korean artist to perform in China .
Winner of the Golden Tuning Fork Award (Diapason D'Or) in 1992 (for recordings by Alexander Skryabin ), in 1993 (for recordings by Sergei Prokofiev ).
- 1992 - Maurice Ravel , all works for piano.
- 1992 - Sergei Prokofiev , piano sonatas number 5-7.
- 1994 - Sergei Prokofiev , all piano concertos (conductor Anthony Wit , National Symphony Orchestra of Polish Radio ).
- 1995 - Maurice Ravel , piano concerts.
- 1996 - Baek Kon Wu plays Scriabin .
- 1998 - Felix Mendelssohn , Songs without Words.
- 1998 - Sergei Rachmaninov , all works for piano and orchestra (conductor Vladimir Fedoseyev , Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra).
- 2000 - Franz Liszt , Eric Satie , Claude Debussy , Francis Poulenc : piano works.
- 2000 - Johann Sebastian Bach in the transcriptions of Ferruccio Busoni : toccata, chacontes, choral preludes.
- 2002 - Baek Kun U plays Gabriel Faure .
- 2003 - Frederic Chopin , all works for piano and orchestra.
- 2005 - Ludwig van Beethoven , piano sonatas number 16-26.
- 2006 - Ludwig van Beethoven , piano sonatas No. 1-15.
- 2007 - Ludwig van Beethoven , piano sonatas number 27-32.