Hugo Maurice Julien Klaus  ( Dutch Hugo Maurice Julien Claus , April 5, 1929 , Bruges - March 19, 2008 , Antwerp ) is a Belgian ( Flemish ) Dutch-language writer, poet, artist, playwright, film and theater director.
|Birth name||Hugo claus|
|Aliases||hugo c. van astene, Anatole Ghekiere, Jan Hyoens and Thea Streiner|
|Date of Birth||April 5, 1929|
|Place of Birth||Bruges|
|Date of death||March 19, 2008 (78 years old)|
|Place of death||Antwerp|
|Occupation||prose writer , poet , playwright|
|Language of Works|
|Debut||De Metsiers (1950)|
[d] ( 1979 )
[d] ( 1997 )
[d] ( 2005 )
[d] ( 1952 )
[d] ( 1965 )
Netherlands Literary Award ( 1986 )
[d] ( 1986 )
[d] ( 1985 )
[d] ( 1994 )
[d] ( 2001 )
Biography and Creativity
He spent his childhood in the village of Astene (a commune of Deinze , West Flanders ), where the family moved three months after the birth of Hugo. He studied at various schools, including the Catholic boarding school at the monastery. The young man left his parental home, worked in France. He met and made friends with A. Arto , who became his second father. In 1953 - 1955 he lived in Italy. In the early 1970s, became close to Sylvia Christel , in 1975 they had a son, Arthur.
According to political views - an anarchist, by temperament - a rebel, by occupation - an implacable critic of traditionalism in everyday life, politics, religion, culture. After visiting Cuba in the 1960s, he spoke out in favor of the socialist model  . Often published books under pseudonyms, including women. He was close to the artists of the COBRA group, published several books in collaboration with Karel Appel and Pierre Aleshinsky . He worked in the cinema.
Hugo Klaus's first novel was published in 1951 , when the writer was only 21 years old. The novel was favorably received by critics.
The most famous work of Hugo Klaus is the novel “Woe to Belgium” ( Dutch Het verdriet van België , a translation of “Passion for Belgium” is possible), published in 1983 .
The work of Hugo Klaus has been translated into several dozen languages, including Russian. He is considered one of the greatest Dutch-language writers of the 20th century . Winner of numerous national and European literary awards, including the Pasolini Prize ( 1997 ). Repeatedly included in the lists of applicants for the Nobel Prize in literature   .
In the last years of his life, Hugo Klaus suffered from Alzheimer's disease . He voluntarily passed away through euthanasia (it is allowed by law in Belgium).
Publications in Russian
- Poems // West European poetry of the XX century. - M .: Fiction, 1977. - S. 159-161 .
- Hugo Klaus. / Per. with nid. V. Toporov. // From modern Belgian poetry. - M .: Progress, 1981. - S. 189-218.
- We will write you // Belgian short story. - M .: Izvestia, 1986.
- Favorites. - M .: Rainbow, 1991. - (Masters of modern prose).
- Gossip / Per. Irina Grivnina. - M .: Text, 2013 .-- 352 p.
- BNF ID : Open Data Platform
- less common variants of Hugo, Hugo, Hugo
- Coetzee, JM (24 Feb 2007). "Stepping Stones". The Guardian .
- Chinese writer Gao Xingqian became Nobel Prize winner in literature // newsru.com October 12, 2000
- Famous Belgian writer Hugo Klaus passed away with the help of euthanasia // newsru.com March 20, 2008
- Hugo Klaus on the Internet Movie Database
- Hugo Claus Study Center at the University of Antwerp
- The Belgian writer Hugo Klaus died // newspaper Look