Art Museum. Shovkunenko - a museum named after the famous artist Alexei Alekseevich Shovkunenko , a native of Kherson .
|Kherson Art Museum. Shovkunenko|
|Address||Kherson , Ukraine|
The building of the modern museum, which housed the City Council, was built in 1897 according to the design of the Odessa architect A. B. Minkus ( 1870 - 1948 ). May 27, 1978 in the building was opened the exposition of the Kherson Art Museum. A.A. Shovkunenko.
For 20-30 years of the XX century. The museum’s art collection was significantly replenished with works of Russian and Western European painting, graphic art, and decorative and applied art. On the eve of World War II, the funds totaled about 700 exhibits. During the years of fascist occupation, the Nazis removed from Kherson to Germany and Romania most of the museum valuables, including a collection of works of art.
In 1981 , more than 100 works were received by A.A. Shovkunenko, a native of Kherson, USSR people's artist, donated by his wife A.V. Shovkunenko. This made it possible to create a monographic exhibition of the works of an outstanding painter.
Currently, the museum’s art collection has over 10,000 exhibits and is one of the most interesting museum collections in Ukraine , which presents works of domestic and foreign painting, graphics, sculpture, decorative and applied art, starting with examples of Russian icon painting of the 17th century and up to the works of modern Kherson artists .