Pierre ( dr. Greek Πίερος , by Cicero Pieron ) is a character in ancient Greek mythology . The son of Magnet (or the son of Eleufer  ). According to the third version, the son of Lina  . Hyacinth 's father (from Clio ).  Wife of Antiope  , 9 daughters competing with Muses .
Myths about him explain the origin of the widespread epithet of the Muses - Pierids .
According to one of the myths, he arrived from Thessaloniki from Macedonia, set the number of muses to 9 and gave them names. According to the interpretation of the myth, he was the first to write poems about muses  .
Autochton, king of Emaphia  , he had 9 daughters 
- Pierids  The daughters of Pierre and the Peonians of Evippa  . According to one interpretation, they had the same names as the goddesses, and those who were called the children of the Muses were in fact the grandchildren of Pierre  .
According to Ovid , the daughters of Pierre lost the contest with the Muses and turned into forty  . According to the story of Antonin Liberal, they competed with the muses on Helikon , lost and turned into birds: a chomga , a turntable , a kenhrida , a greenfinch , a carduelis , a duck , a green woodpecker and a dragon dragon  .
- Gigin. Myths 225
- Commentary by D.O. Torshilov in the book. Gigin. Myths St. Petersburg, 2000. S.23
- Pseudo-Apollodorus. Mythological library I 3, 3
- Cicero. About the nature of the gods III 54
- Heraclides of Pontus, fr. 157 Verli = Plutarch. About music // Fragments of early Greek philosophers. Part 1. M., 1989. S. 70
- Antonin Liberal. Metamorphoses 9, 1
- Pausanias. Description of Hellas IX 29, 3
- Myths of the peoples of the world. M., 1991-92. In 2 t. T. 2. S.317
- Ovid. Metamorphoses V 303
- Pausanias. Description of Hellas IX 29, 4
- Ovid. Metamorphoses V 670–678
- Antonin Liberal. Metamorphoses 9, 3, only eight birds are named here, a possible explanation for which is the gap in the manuscript.