Pierre Frankastel ( French Pierre Albert Emile Ghislain Francastel , June 8, 1900 , Paris - 1970 , ibid.) - French historian and sociologist of art.
Father - art historian and art critic Albert Frankastel, mother - daughter of the Belgian artist Felix ter Linden. In childhood, he suffered polio , which made him a lifelong disabled person. He graduated from the Sorbonne in the Faculty of Classical Languages and Literature.
He grew up in the Palace of Versailles , where his father worked, and here from 1925 he worked on his dissertation on the sculpture of Versailles. Since 1930 , having defended his dissertation, he becomes director of the French Institute in Warsaw , lectures at the University of Warsaw . Since 1936 he taught at the University of Strasbourg . Participated in the Resistance . After the war, at the invitation of Lucien, Febvre took up the post of professor in 1948 at the department of the sociology of art created for him at the Practical School of Higher Studies in Paris.
He developed the ideas of Durkheim about collective representations and his study of symbolic classifications, combining them with the historical approach of the Annal school and anticipating the latest developments in the sociology of space and other symbolic forms, the history of mentalities and the imaginary sphere. The scientist is distinguished by a wide historical horizons, in the scope of his professional research includes European art from the era of the Middle Ages and Renaissance to impressionism , cubism and pointless painting. He was interested in the relationship between art and technology, art and ideology, art and the public.
- La sculpture de Versailles; essai sur les origines et l'évolution du gout français classique ( 1930 )
- La Pologne pittoresque ( 1934 )
- L'impressionnisme; les origines de la peinture moderne de Monet à Gauguin ( 1937 )
- Monet, Sisley, Pissarro ( 1939 )
- Le style empire ( 1939 )
- L'humanisme roman. Critique des théories sur l'art du XIe siècle en France ( 1942 )
- Frontières du gothique ( 1945 )
- L'histoire de lárt, instrument de la propagande germanique ( 1945 )
- Nouveau dessin, nouvelle peinture; l'école de Paris ( 1946 )
- Peinture et société: naissance et destruction d'un espace plastique, de la Renaissance au cubisme ( 1952 )
- Histoire de la peinture française, la peinture de chevalet du XIVe au XXe siècle ( 1955 )
- Histoire de la peinture italienne, t. 1-3 ( 1955 - 1963 , co-authored with Galena Francastel)
- Art et technique aux XIXe et XX siècles ( 1956 )
- Estève (1956)
- Utopie et institutions au XVIIIe siècle; le pragmatisme des Lumières ( 1963 )
- Art et technique ( 1964 )
- La réalité figurative, éléments structurels de sociologie de l'art ( 1965 )
- La Figure et le lieu, l'ordre visuel du Quattrocento ( 1967 )
- Le Portrait; 50 siècles d'humanisme en peinture ( 1969 , co-authored with Galena Frankcastel)
- Études de sociologie de l'art ( 1970 )
- L'image, la vision et l'imagination: l'objet filmique et l'objet plastique (publ. 1983 , co-authored with Galena Frankastel)
- Une destinée de capitale: Paris (publ. 1984 )
Recognition and Rewards
Francastel is one of the most respected social historians and sociologists of art. His books have been reprinted several times during his lifetime and have been published to this day; they have been translated into Japanese and many European languages. Laureate of the College de France Prize ( 1957 ). In 1963 he was awarded the Legion of Honor , but the scientist refused it.
Since 2004 , the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies of Contemporary Art named after Pierre Francastel has been operating at the University of Paris-Nanterre; he publishes his Notebooks.
Publications in Russian
- Figure and place. Visual order in the era of Quattrocento. St. Petersburg: Science, 2005 (French Library)
- La sociologie de l'art et sa vocation interdisciplinaire: l'œuvre et l'influence de Pierre Francastel. Paris: Denoël / Gonthier, 1976
- Campos JLde. Do simbólico ao virtual: a representação do espaço em Panofsky e Francastel. São Paulo: Editora Perspectiva; Rio de Janeiro: Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, 1990
- Morisson M.-A. Archives de Pierre Francastel (1900-1970). Paris: EHESS, 1996