Card reader ( Eng. Card reader , also writing options are used card reader , card reader , card reader , etc.  ) - a device for reading memory cards , as well as other electronic cards for various purposes. In particular, smart cards and flash cards .
The most common are:
- universal card readers for flash-based storage devices, often containing several different connectors and connected via USB to a general-purpose computer. There are external (in the form of a separate device) and internal (in the form of a module installed in the 3.5 "system unit compartment). USB card readers usually implement the standard class of USB Mass Storage Device  , drivers for which are included in most operating systems.
- specialized smart card readers connected to equipment using the appropriate type of card. For example, an ATM card reader ( EMV ), a card reader in ACKP and subway checkpoints.
According to the principle of the card reader, there are:
- Traditional, with electrical connection pins . Provide the highest speed data exchange. Currently used as computer memory devices along with hard drives .
- Magnetic, having a magnetic head for reading strips on magnetic cards . Cards for this type of device have long been distinguished by the lowest cost of production, and therefore such systems are widely used.
- Electronic contactless (NFC).
Built-in 3.5 "-chart multicard reader memory cards ( USB 2.0 , T-Flash (microSD), SD / MMC , XD , CF / CF II , MS / MS Duo )
Card reader in the form factor of a USB flash drive for memory cards
PCMCIA Smart Card Reader
Compact USB Smart Card Reader
RS-232 card reader ( DE-9 connector) for smart cards
- Universal electronic card