Lyceum , also a lyceum ( dr. Greek Λύκειον , lat. Lyceum ) - in ancient Athens gymnasiums near the temple of Apollo Likeisky, where he taught Socrates  , then Aristotle in the last years of his life (335–323 BC) , and did the polemarch court. Aristotlek Critolaus in 156 BC e. took part in the embassy in Rome. A significant role in preserving the teachings of Aristotle was played by Andronicus of Rhodes . Pupils of Aristotle existed in the III century ( Alexander of Aphrodisia )
The disciples of Aristotle were nicknamed "Λύκειοι Περιπατητικοί" - "those who walk near Likey", " peripatetics " - because the teacher liked to reason and teach while walking. His students continued the tradition of teaching at Likey, and the name remained in history as the name of the philosophical school of Aristotle; They also call it Lyceum.
Likey was located in the east of Athens behind the city wall (outside the gates of Diochar) between the streams of Ilyssos and Eridanus at the foot of the hill of Lykavit .
Earlier here were the temples of Apollo Likeisky ("killers of wolves"). Before the appearance of the philosophical school (“gymnasium”), Athenian soldiers trained here. At the time of Pericles, a gymnasium appeared here for sports, but philosophers chose this place. Socrates taught here. In 335 BC e. Aristotle's school appears here. After Aristotle, Likey was led by Feofrast , Straton , and Lycon  . The 11th chapter of Likey was Andronicus of Rhodes . In the 1st century BC e. Likey suffered from the siege of Sulla. In the III century. he experienced an invasion of the merul .
The name comes from the temple of Apollo Lycian (Lycian)  ; the temple was named after the son of Tsar Pandion , the Attic hero Lik (Likos, dr. Greek Λύκος ), by whose name the country of the Tremils got its name Lycia  .
In 1996, archaeological excavations began in Likey. A palestra with a courtyard (22 × 26 meters), a library with a lecture hall, a well, baths, rooms with a hypocaust have been excavated
- Platonov Academy
- ↑ Plato . Feast . 223d
- ↑ Diogenes of Laertes . About life, teachings and sayings. Book 5
- ↑ Lyceum, gymnasium in Athens // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- ↑ Face, Attic hero // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- Ancient culture: literature, theater, art, philosophy, science. Glossary / Edited by V. N. Yarho. M., 1995.
- Lyceum, gymnasium in Athens // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- Lyceum // Small Encyclopedic Dictionary of Brockhaus and Efron : in 4 volumes - St. Petersburg. 1907-1909.
- Face, Attic Hero // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- Likey - an article from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia . .
- Lyceum and Aristotle / Athens School