Street of the Architectural Rossi (until 1923 - Theater Street ) - a street in the Central District of St. Petersburg , named after the architect Karl Rossi . It leads from the Alexandrinsky Theater to Lomonosov Square and consists of five buildings built according to a single project with a single facade, so it seems that there is one building on each side of the street. The severity of the architectural forms of the facades emphasize the majesty and splendor of the theater building. The street is unique in its exact adherence to ancient canons - its width is equal to the height of its forming buildings (22 meters), and its length is exactly ten times greater - 220 meters.
|Street Architect Rossi|
Street of Architect Rossi (modern view)
In the middle of the XVIII century, the territory was occupied by courtyards and gardens of the Vorontsov Palace and Anichkov Palace . At the end of the XVIII century. part of the territory is sold under construction to private individuals. Design work on the reconstruction of the district began in 1816 by the Committee for Structures and Hydraulic Works . In 1827, a special commission under the Cabinet of His Imperial Majesty assessed the sites.
The modern ensemble of the street of Architect Rossi was formed in 1828-1834 according to the project of Karl Ivanovich Rossi (for which it received its modern name in 1923).
The house No. 1/3 was originally intended to house military schools. However, in the end, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of the Interior were located there. Now there are various departments. The city government plans to free the building from tenants. In particular, it was decided to relocate Gorelectrotrans from here  .
On the opposite side of the street is house number 2, which was originally built as the revenue department of the inheritance of the Ministry of the Imperial Court. At one time, on the ground floor there were shops of merchants Deuter, Kolpakov, Nizovsky, porcelain, glass and paper factories. In the second and third floors they arranged a hotel and living quarters  . In view of the protests of the merchants of the Gostiny Dvor , who petitioned Nicholas I to protect them from competition, in 1836 the highest order was received to transfer the building of the Directorate of the Imperial Theaters. After changing the facade (the arcades were laid, arches turned into window niches) and interiors, designed by architect A.K. Kavos , the St. Petersburg Imperial Theater School (now the Academy of Russian Ballet named after A. Ya. Vaganova ) moved in there many outstanding masters of theater and ballet. Thanks to this, house number 2 became one of the centers of theatrical life in St. Petersburg. For a long time, until 1917, the Directorate of the Imperial Theaters was located in the part of the building adjacent to Ostrovsky Square, the premises of which were occupied in 1918 by the St. Petersburg Museum of Musical and Theater Art, which is still operating today. In addition to him, today in this part of the building is the St. Petersburg Theater Library - a unique collection of materials on the history of theatrical art in the world. The Mariinsky Theater Music Library, founded at the beginning of the 19th century, is located in the middle part of the building. In 1998, in the part of the house adjacent to Lomonosov Square, an Orthodox church in the name of the Holy Trinity was restored. The temple was founded in 1806 and was the home church of the theater school and the Theater Directorate. The temple operates, entry into it is possible through the premises of the A. Ya. Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet.
In the courtyards are buildings built by other architects. So in 1890 - 1891 in the courtyard of house number 2, according to the project of architect A. R. Geshvend , a warehouse of scenery for the ballet troupe of the Directorate of the Imperial Theaters was built.
In 1999, the city Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture held a competition of projects for the improvement of Architect Rossi Street and Ostrovsky Square. As a result of the landscaping of this part of the city under the project of the Architectural Studio - THREE, the sidewalks of the street were paved with slabs of gray and red granite, which are made up in large maps. Entrances to the street gates are made by special inclined ramps, which are made of stone blocks  .
At the end of 2007, it became known that on the building of the Academy. Vaganova may appear attics  . Although any construction work, except restoration and restoration, on architectural monuments is prohibited by law, the city authorities say that the attic is legal and will not change the configuration of the roof and the general appearance of the building  .
- In 1998, for the first time in St. Petersburg, in the framework of a pilot project, machines were installed on the street of Architect Rossi to pay for parking cars.
- In 1941-1945, headquarters of the Leningrad Military District was located in house No. 2, for which a concrete bunker was built in the middle of the building.
- Gorelektrotrans is evicted from the street of the Architect Rossi . Fontanka.ru
- On July 1, 1832, the Severnaya Bee newspaper published announcements about the delivery of shops and apartments for rent here.
- Competition project for the improvement of the ensemble of Architect Rossi Street and Ostrovsky and Lomonosov Squares Archived copy of January 17, 2005 on the Wayback Machine . The site of the "Architectural Studio - THREE".
- Attic attics may appear on Vaganovka // Fontanka.ru
- Smolny claims that the construction of the attic at the Vaganovsky school is legal
- Pilyavsky V.I., Architect of Russia . M. — L .: GIAiG, 1951.
- Taranovskaya M.Z. The building of the A.S. Pushkin Academic Drama Theater in Leningrad (On the 250th anniversary of Leningrad). - L. , 1956.
- Taranovskaya M.Z. Ensembles of the architect Rossi (on the 200th anniversary of the birth of the great urban planner) // Construction and Architecture of Leningrad, No. 3. - L. , 1975.
- Taranovskaya M.Z. Karl Rossi. Architect. Urban planner. Painter. - L .: Stroyizdat , 1980 .-- 224 p.
- Gorbachevich K. S. , Khablo E. P. Why are they so named? On the origin of the names of streets, squares, islands, rivers and bridges of Leningrad. - 3rd ed., Rev. and add. - L .: Lenizdat , 1985 .-- S. 136-137. - 511 p.
- Gorbachevich K. S. , Khablo E. P. Why are they so named? On the origin of the names of streets, squares, islands, rivers and bridges of St. Petersburg. - 4th ed., Revised. - SPb. : Norint , 1996.- S. 91. - 359 p. - ISBN 5-7711-0002-1 .
- City names today and yesterday: Petersburg toponymy / comp. S.V. Alekseeva, A.G. Vladimirovich , A.D. Erofeev et al. - 2nd ed., Revised. and add. - SPb. : Lick , 1997 .-- S. 49 .-- 288 p. - (Three centuries of Northern Palmyra). - ISBN 5-86038-023-2 .
- Fomkin A. V. Two centuries of “theatrical” church. - SPb. : ARB named after Vaganova, 2003.