Ercole I d'Este ( Italian: Ercole I d'Este, Ercole di Ferrara , FR. Hercule Ier d'Este ; October 26, 1431 - January 25, 1505 ) - representative of the Italian noble family d'Este , Duke of Modena (1471), Ferrara and Reggio Emilia .
|Ercole I d'Este|
|ital. Ercole I d'Este, Ercole di Ferrara|
|Successor||Alfonso I d'Este|
|Birth||October 26, 1431 |
|Death||January 25, 1505 ( 73)|
|Father||Niccolo III d'Este|
|Mother||Ricciardi di Salutstso|
|Spouse||Eleanor of Aragon|
|Children||Isabella , Beatrice , Alfonso I , Fernando , Hippolyto I , Sigismundo|
Ercole ( Hercule ) d'Este was born in Ferrara , in the family of Niccolo III d'Este ( 1383 - 1441 ), the Marquis of Ferrara and the lord Modena and his third wife, Ricciarda di Salutstso (d. 1474 ). The future Duke of Ferrara and Modena was educated at the court of Alfonso V, King of Aragon and Neapolitan , where he spent 15 years - from 1445 to 1460 . Ercole mastered there not only martial arts and knightly virtues, but also became a great connoisseur of ancient architecture and fine arts, which later contributed to his reputation as a connoisseur and patron of the Italian Renaissance .
In 1471 , after the death of his half-brother Borso , Ercole became the Duke of Ferrara . Later, in 1473, he marries Eleanor of Aragon , granddaughter of Alfonso V. This alliance, concluded on July 3 in Naples , further strengthens the strength and power of Ferrara .
Marriage and children
Wife: Eleanor of Aragon ( June 22, 1450 - October 11, 1493 ) - daughter of Fernando I, King of Naples and Isabella de Clermont , Princess di Taranto.
- Isabella ( May 18, 1474 - February 13, 1539 ), wife of Francesco Gonzaga , Marquis of Mantua;
- Beatrice ( June 29, 1475 - February 2, 1497 ), wife of Lodovico Sforza , Duke of Bari;
- Alfonso I ( July 21, 1476 - October 31, 1534 ), Duke of Modena , Ferrara and Reggio ( 1505 - 1534 ), spouse of the notorious Lucretia Borgia ;
- Fernando ( September 28, 1477 - February 22, 1540 ), was sent to prison in 1506 by his brother Alfonso , where he died 34 years later;
- Ippolito I ( March 20, 1479 - September 3, 1520 ), Cardinal, Archbishop of Ferrara;
- Sigismundo ( September 8, 1480 - August 9, 1524 ).
Ercole had two illegitimate children:
- Lucretia, wife of Annibale Bentivoglio ;
- Giulio ( July 13, 1478 - March 13, 1561 ), was imprisoned in 1506 by his brother Alfonso , after 53 years in prison, was released.