Tarzan is a feature - length animated film produced by the Walt Disney Feature Animation and released in 1999 by Walt Disney Pictures . Based on the work of Edgar Rice Burroughs " Tarzan, the adoption of monkeys ." He became the thirty-seventh film in the line of Walt Disney company . A record amount of $ 150 million was spent on making the film.
|Sequels||Tarzan and Jane ( 2002 ) |
Tarzan II ( 2005 )
|Producer||Chris Buck |
|written by||Tab Murphy|
|Roles voiced||Tony Goldwyn , Minnie Driver , Rosie O'Donnell , Brian Blessed, Glenn Close , Lance Henriksen , Nigel Hawthorne|
|Composer||Phil Collins |
|Studio||Walt disney pictures|
|Premiere||June 18, 1999 ( USA )|
|Budget||130 million $|
|Fees||448 191 819 $|
The music for the cartoon was written by singer and musician Phil Collins . In 2000, Tarzan received an Academy Award for Best Song ( “You'll Be In My Heart” ).
In the late 1880s , a shipwreck occurs off the coast of Africa , as a result of which a young couple with a small son is saved, they settle in the jungle and build a hut from the remains of the ship. At this time, the gorillas of Kerchak and Kala from the clutches of leopard Sabor die a little son ( "Two Worlds"). The next day, Kala enters the boy’s parents’ hut and rescues him from Sabor’s clutches. Kala refers the boy to the gorillas and becomes his mother, despite Kerchak's annoyance. Kala calls the boy " Tarzan " ( "You'll Be in My Heart" ).
It takes several years. Tarzan became friends with the young gorilla Terkina (the diminutive - “Turk”) and the elephant Tantor ( “Son of Man” ), although he is physically weaker than other animals and it is difficult for him to compete with them. However, Tarzan does not give up and grows up a strong and dexterous man. When Sabor once again attacks the group, Tarzan kills him, having won great authority and fame among everyone except Kerchak.
People appear in the jungle : Professor Porter with his daughter Jane, who arrived in Africa in search of gorillas. They are accompanied by hunter Clayton. Tarzan saves Jane from a pack of angry baboons . Kerchak warns the gorillas that they need to stay away from people, although Tarzan protests, believing that there is no threat. He secretly returns to Jane, meets with Professor Porter and Clayton and gets acquainted with the world of people ( "Strangers Like Me" ); however, Tarzan refuses to give out the position of the gorillas. A few days later, a ship sailed from England to pick up Jane and her father. Tarzan is very sad: he does not want to part with Jane, because he fell in love with her, which Clayton uses, demanding to show the gorillas. Tarzan comes up with a plan to distract Kerchak and lead people to the gorillas, but Kerchak still appears. Tarzan becomes an outcast among gorillas. He had no choice but to sail with people to England .
But on the ship, Clayton takes everyone prisoner, locks Tarzan, Jane, the professor and captain of the ship in the hold and declares that he wants to catch the gorillas and sell them on the black market . Tantor and Turk help Tarzan get out. While catching gorillas, Clayton mortally wounds Kerchak. Tarzan engages in a fight with Clayton, as a result of which Clayton dies. Tarzan and the gorillas mourn Kerchak, who makes Tarzan his heir and finally recognizes him as his son.
Jane and Professor Porter are preparing to return to England , but in the end they decide to stay with Tarzan in the jungle , changing their old clothes to more comfortable feminine bandages like Tarzan's. And the captain says in England that he lost them in the jungle ( "Two Worlds Reprise" ).
- Alex D. Linz - Young Tarzan
- Tony Goldwin - adult Tarzan
- Minnie Driver - Jane Porter
- Rosie O'Donnell - Turk
- Glenn Close - Cala
- Brian Blessid - Clayton
- Lance Henriksen - Kerchak
- Wayne Knight - Tantor
- Nigel Hawthorne - Professor Porter
- Phil Collins - Vocal Scoring
- Ruslan Martsinkevich - young Tarzan
- Alexander Bargman - adult Tarzan
- Tatyana Mikhalevkina - Jane Porter
- Daria Konstantinova - young Turk
- Snezhina Koprova - adult Turk
- Elena Ternovaya - Kala / vocal scoring
- Vladimir Letenkov - Clayton
- Roman Gromadsky - Kerchak
- Arthur Waha - Adult Tantor
- Alexander Demyanenko - Professor Porter
- Alexander Malinin - vocal scoring
The cartoon was duplicated by the Neva-1 film company by order of Disney Character Voices International in 1999  .
Occasional roles : Igor Semenov, Alexander Trofimov, Arseniy Stanishevsky, Tatyana Ivanova , Gennady Smirnov , Lyudmila Bezuglaya , Anatoly Azo , Nina Potapovskaya, Evgeny Sakharov, Vadim Gushchin , Alexey Guryev
- Dubbing Director - Lyudmila Demyanenko
- Translator - Olga Voyeykova
- The author of the synchronous text and lyrics is Elena Stavrogin
- Musical Director - Anatoly Fedchenko
- Sound producer - Oksana Strugina
- Sound engineer - Tatyana Gozhikova
- Recording engineer - Alexey Shulga
- Creative Consultant - Mariusz Yavorovsky
Differences from the book
- In the book, Tarzan's parents also ended up in Africa on a ship, but were abandoned by the rebels and not wrecked. In addition, the child was born after they were in the jungle.
- In the book, Tarzan’s mother dies of illness, and her father is killed by Kerchak, from whom Kala saves the baby. In the cartoon, a leopard named Sabor appears, which kills both parents, and Kala shows heroism and saves the child from a predator.
- The image of Kerchak, the leader of the pack, is mixed with the image of Tublat, the husband of Kala, who immediately disliked Tarzan and tried more than once to kill him, while Kerchak Tarzan was at first indifferent. Tublat is not involved in the film, and in the series sequel he has become one of the main villains.
- In the book, Terkoz, the son of Tublat, is Tarzan's worst enemy, and in the film, Turk is the best friend and, moreover, the adoptive cousin.
- For political correctness , the real inhabitants of Africa were removed from the cartoon. In the book, Tarzan kills blacks because they "do not matter."
- In the cartoon, Kala, who became Tarzan's mother, remains alive, while in the book she is killed by Kulong, the son of the old leader of the Negro tribe and the first person met by Tarzan.
- In the book, Jane Porter hails from the USA , in the cartoon - from England ( London ).
- In the book, Clayton is Tarzan's cousin (as a result of which Tarzan's real name is John Clayton, Lord Greystock). In the cartoon, Tarzan’s real name is never mentioned (although, most likely, Tarzan is his absolute name, it’s just that Tarzan’s parents did not have time to come up with his name before he died, since Tarzan was still a baby), and Clayton has no relationship with him . In addition, in the book, Clayton dies only at the end of the next book about Tarzan.
- In the book, Tarzan has short black hair (he cuts it himself with a knife so as not to interfere). In the film, he has a luxurious brown hair.
- Information about Russian dubbing is compiled according to the data shown after the film on DVD and Blu-ray.
- Tarzan on the Internet Movie Database
- “Tarzan: An Original Walt Disney Records Soundtrack” on the All Music Guide