Verkhoturye (obsolete. Verkhneturie ) is a city  in Russia , the administrative center of the urban district of Verkhotursky, Sverdlovsk Region . The city is located on the left bank of the Tura River (a Tobol tributary, the Irtysh basin), on the eastern slopes of the Middle Urals , 306 km north of Yekaterinburg . Railway station on the line Goroblagodatskaya - Serov - Priobye .
|Subject of the federation||Sverdlovsk region|
|Chapter||Likhanov Alexey Gennadievich |
|History and Geography|
|City with||1598 year|
|Center height||115 m|
|Timezone||UTC + 5|
|Population||↘ 8651  people ( 2017 )|
|Telephone code||+7 34389|
It was founded in 1598 by the state expedition of Vasily Golovin and Ivan Voyeykov as a prison on the site of the previously existing Mansi settlement Neromkar to protect one of the most popular waterways to Siberia : up the Kama to Solikamsk , then by land and then down the Tour to the Ob . Verkhoturye became the main fortress on the way to Siberia. In 1600, customs was established, and all Siberian goods passed through the city. Since the 17th century , the state pit service was established on the Babinovskaya road . The construction of other roads was prohibited. By decree of Peter I of 1708, the state was divided into 8 provinces, the city of Verkhoturye became part of the Siberian province. In 1710, 84 Swedes (including 5 pastors ) arrived in Verkhoturye  .
The city was badly damaged by the fires of 1674 and 1738, and its development slowed down in the middle of the XVIII century due to the abolition of customs and the closure of the Verkhotursky tract in 1763 .
At the establishment of the provinces - a county town in the Siberian province . This was the largest county in Russia - it included almost the entire part of the Urals inhabited by Russians at that time, from Pechora in the north to Ufa in the south, from Vishera and Chusova in the west to the Irtysh tributaries in the east. Since 1783 - the city was transferred to Perm governorate .
In the 19th century , communications with Siberia shifted far south, and Verkhoturye lost its commercial value. In 1906 a movement was opened along Theological Railway. village whose station was built 8 km from the city.
After the revolutions of 1917, the Bolsheviks first took power in the city, and from September 1918 to July 1919 Verkhoturye was under the control of the Kolchak army . In 1926, Verkhoturye lost the status of a city, which was returned to him only in 1947 , in connection with the 350th anniversary of its founding.
Verkhoturye is both the oldest and smallest city in the Sverdlovsk region.
On February 1, 1963, the city of Verkhoturye was included in the Verkhoturye rural region  .
The climate is temperate continental .
|The climate of Verkhoturye (norm 1981-2010)|
|Average temperature, ° C||−15.5||−13.5||−4.8||2,8||9.9||16,0||18.1||14.7||8.7||2,3||−7.8||−13.2||1,5|
|Precipitation rate, mm||thirty||20||22||31||52||67||93||88||70||40||34||29th||576|
|Source:  .|
|1856 ||1897 ||1959 ||1970 ||1979 ||1989 ||1992 ||1996 ||1998 ||2000 |
|3000||↗ 3200||↗ 10 917||↘ 9688||↘ 8966||↗ 8973||↗ 9000||↘ 8700||↘ 8500||↘ 8400|
|2001 ||2002 ||2003 ||2005 ||2006 ||2007 ||2008 ||2009 ||2010 ||2011 |
|↘ 8300||↘ 7815||↘ 7800||↘ 7600||↘ 7500||↘ 7400||→ 7400||↘ 7398||↗ 8820||↘ 8800|
|2012 ||2013 ||2014 ||2015 ||2016 ||2017 |
|↗ 8809||↘ 8776||↘ 8771||↘ 8748||↘ 8678||↘ 8651|
As of January 1, 2019, the city was in 980th place out of 1,115  cities of the Russian Federation in terms of population  .
Although the city has enterprises of the woodworking industry, in fact, the budget of Verkhoturye is subsidized. The tourism industry is developing, mainly related to visiting Orthodox shrines and retail trade.
Verkhoturskaya hydroelectric power station operates with a capacity of 7 MW and an average annual output of 33 million kWh .
Near the Verkhoturye are the pipelines Surgut - Polotsk , Kholmogory - Klin .
Verkhoturye is the center of Orthodoxy in the Urals, one of the oldest cities in Russia beyond the Ural Mountains. There are many architectural monuments of the 17th – 20th centuries in the city. Among them - the smallest Kremlin in Russia with the Trinity Cathedral ( 1703 - 1712 ), the Nikolaev Monastery , Pokrovsky Monastery .
The Goroblagodatskaya- Serov- Priobye railway passes through the city. In the city (village Privokzalny, 7 km west of the center) is the station: Verkhoturye and stop. point 101 km, located 3 km south. Suburban communication with Nizhny Tagil and Serov and long-distance passenger transport with Yekaterinburg, Moscow and Priobye. There are also special electric trains for the transport of pilgrims, appointed on major Orthodox holidays.
City transport is represented by four bus routes: 4,5,6,109.
- Museum of Local Lore in Verkhoturye 
It was founded in 1604 .
- Holy Cross Cathedral ( 1905 - 1913 , architect A. B. Turchevich ) is the third largest church in Russia, second only to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow and St. Isaac's Cathedral . 
- The Transfiguration Church ( 1821 ) in the style of classicism with a bell tower destroyed in the 1930s and restored in 1998 .
- Simeon-Anninsky Gate Church ( 1856 ) in the traditions of ancient Russian architecture.
Holy Cross Cathedral
Gate Church of Simeon and Anna
The western wall of the Nikolaev monastery in Verkhoturye
Verkhotursky Nicholas Monastery
- It was founded in 1621 by the archbishop of Siberian Cyprian - the first convent in the Urals. Dependents of Maxim Pokhodyashin built the Church of the Intercession of the Virgin (1744-1753) and the Nativity of John the Baptist (1768).
- Abolished in 1782
- It was resumed in 1896 due to the fact that the temples previously owned by the monastery were by then parish, in 1898-1902. Novo-Pokrovskaya church was built.
- Closed in 1926
- Returned to believers in 1991
View of the Pokrovsky Monastery from behind the Tours
Church of the Protection of the Virgin. Old
Church of the Protection of the Virgin. New
Church of St. John the Baptist
Kremlin. Trinity Cathedral
- Trinity Cathedral . Built in 1703-1709 In 1777, a clock was installed on the bell tower.
View of the Tura and Trinity Stone
View from the Trinity Stone down the Tour
Church of the Resurrection
Church of the Sign of the Mother of God
50 km from Verkhoturye in the village of Merkushino, the holy righteous Simeon of Verkhoturye of all Siberia worked as a miracle worker - the patron saint of fishermen. The relics of the saint rest in the Holy Cross Cathedral . The life of Saints Cosmas and Areph of Verkhotursky is also associated with Verkhoturye.
The city has the Verkhotursky Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve, the Orthodox Museum. Of interest is the civilian (stone and wooden) building of the city.
There is a stable legend (not confirmed, however, by any historical document) that the first bicycle was built in Verkhoturye with pedals and a wheel by the fortress blacksmith Efim Artamonov. According to this legend, on September 15, 1801, thousands of people gathered on the Khodynsky field in Moscow watched in amazement at the amazing two-wheeled cart. According to legend, she was attached to the royal collection of rarities  . The model of this bike (actually copied from the English bikes of the time at the end of the 19th century) is stored in the museum of local history of Nizhny Tagil .
Monument to teachers and high school graduates
Monument on the forecourt
Monument at the walls of the Nikolaev monastery
Historical Views of Verkhoturye
View of the Pokrovsky Monastery
View of the Nikolaev monastery
Holy Trinity Cathedral
Church of the Resurrection
Pokrovsky monastery. Pokhodyashinskaya (left) and Pokrovskaya church
Verkhoturye at the end of the 17th century. Engraving
- I.F. Eropkin (1635-1639)
- V.L. Korsakov (1639–1641)
- N.F. Meshchersky (1641-1644)
- M.F. Streshnev (1644–1648)
- R. R. Vsevolozhsky (1649-1652)
- K-51 "Verkhoturye"
- No one wants to be the city manager of Verkhoturye - Ystav.com
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2017 (July 31, 2017). Date of treatment July 31, 2017. Archived July 31, 2017.
- It had the status of a city from the moment of its foundation, in 1926 it became a rural settlement and in 1947 it received the status of a city
- Chagin G. “Only if the Swedes could not be killed ...” // Homeland. - 2009. - No. 12. - S. 111
- ipravo.info. On the consolidation of rural areas, the formation of industrial areas and the change in the subordination of districts and cities of the Sverdlovsk region - Russian Legal Portal . ipravo.info. Date of treatment May 20, 2018.
- FSBI "VNIIGMI-WDC".
- People's Encyclopedia “My City”. Verkhoturye . Date of treatment June 24, 2014. Archived June 24, 2014.
- 1959 All-Union Census. The number of urban population of the RSFSR, its territorial units, urban settlements and urban areas by gender . Demoscope Weekly. Date of treatment September 25, 2013. Archived on April 28, 2013.
- 1970 All-Union Population Census. The number of urban population of the RSFSR, its territorial units, urban settlements and urban areas by gender. . Demoscope Weekly. Date of treatment September 25, 2013. Archived on April 28, 2013.
- 1979 All-Union Population Census. The number of urban population of the RSFSR, its territorial units, urban settlements and urban areas by gender. . Demoscope Weekly. Date of treatment September 25, 2013. Archived on April 28, 2013.
- 1989 All-Union Population Census. The urban population . Archived on August 22, 2011.
- 2002 All-Russian Population Census. Tom. 1, table 4. The population of Russia, federal districts, constituent entities of the Russian Federation, regions, urban settlements, rural settlements - district centers and rural settlements with a population of 3 thousand or more . Archived February 3, 2012.
- Administrative and territorial division of the Sverdlovsk region on January 1, 2008 . Date of treatment May 11, 2016. Archived May 11, 2016.
- The number of permanent population of the Russian Federation by cities, urban-type settlements and regions as of January 1, 2009 . Date of treatment January 2, 2014. Archived January 2, 2014.
- 2010 All-Russian Population Census. The number and distribution of the population of the Sverdlovsk region . Date of treatment June 1, 2014. Archived June 1, 2014.
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities. Table 35. Estimated resident population as of January 1, 2012 . Date of treatment May 31, 2014. Archived May 31, 2014.
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2013. - M.: Federal State Statistics Service of Rosstat, 2013. - 528 p. (Table 33. The population of urban districts, municipalities, urban and rural settlements, urban settlements, rural settlements) . Date of treatment November 16, 2013. Archived November 16, 2013.
- Table 33. The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2014 . Date of treatment August 2, 2014. Archived on August 2, 2014.
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2015 . Date of treatment August 6, 2015. Archived on August 6, 2015.
- Population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2016
- taking into account the cities of Crimea
- The population of the Russian Federation by municipalities as of January 1, 2019. Table "21. The population of cities and towns by federal districts and constituent entities of the Russian Federation as of January 1, 2019 ” (RAR archive (1,0 Mb)). Federal State Statistics Service .
- Museum of Local Lore in Verkhoturye - official site "Culture.RF", Sverdlovsk Region. Address, photo, schedule, work schedule . www.culture.ru. Circulation date May 15, 2019.
- aisles of the Holy Cross Cathedral of Verkhoturye are preparing for the consecration
- “Encyclopedic Dictionary of the Young Technician” Moscow “Pedagogy”, 1988, p. 61
- Verkhoturye // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- In the holy places of the Urals. Dir: "Baby and Carlson." 2011 pp. 10-13.
- Rychkov A.V. 12 Travels in the Middle Urals . - Kid and Carlson, 2008 .-- 50 p. - 5,000 copies. - ISBN 978-5-9900756-1-0 . Archived February 23, 2014.
- Page of the Verkhotursky historical and architectural museum-reserve on the tourist portal of the Sverdlovsk region
- 3D panoramas of Verkhoturye
- Verkhoturye in the encyclopedia "My city"
- History and culture of the city of Verkhoturye and Verkhoturye
- The history of the coat of arms of Verkhoturye
- Verkhotursky St. Nicholas Monastery on the site "Way to Siberia"
- List of monuments of cultural heritage of Verkhoturye in Wikigid
- Tourist guide to Verkhoturye