Batishchevo is a village in the Smolensk region of Russia , in the Safonovsky district . It is located in the central part of the region 10 km northeast of Safonov , 7 km southeast of the stopping point of the 14th km on the Durovo- Vladimirsky Tupik railway line, 4 km north of the Belarus highway M1 , on the river bank Big Verge. It is part of the Nikolo-Pogorelovsky rural settlement.
|Subject of the federation||Smolensk region|
|Municipal District||Safonovsky district|
|History and Geography|
|Climate type||temperate continental|
|Timezone||UTC + 3|
|Population||26 people ( 2007 )|
|Density||50 people / km²|
|Telephone code||+7 48142|
It is known at least since 1627 (mentioned in the privel of the Polish king Sigismund III ). Until 1861, there were 9 yards and about 100 inhabitants in the village.
At the beginning of the XIX century it was owned by the noble family of Leslie . From February 5, 1871 until his death in 1893, a well-known scientist - agricultural chemist Engelhardt A.N. lived and worked here in exile on his estate  . In the village was his experimental farm, in which he introduced an unusual effective system of agriculture - a fifteen-field crop rotation. Such famous scientists as P.A. Kostychev and V.I. Vernadsky came here to Engelhardt.
After the death of Engelhardt, the estate was acquired by the Ministry of Agriculture, organizing an experimental agricultural station here. Large-scale work unfolded in the 1930s, when the "Western Regional Field Crop Testing Station" was created. In the period 1929-1941, the station employees bred 11 highly cultivated flax varieties; in 1937 she was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor ; in the 1940s, the Smolensk region gave a tenth of flax fiber in the country. Batishchevo was completely burned during the Great Patriotic War , so the experimental station was organized in a new place - in the village of Shokino, Kardymovsky district (now - in the village of Stodolishche, Pochinkovsky district ).
The senior lieutenant Alexei Panasov was born in the village of the guard, the first to discover the remains of Hitler and Eva Braun in May 1945 .
- The hillfort is 1.5 km from the village.
- Batishchevo // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Brockhaus and Efron : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.