The Knowledge Book is a series of children's science fiction books written by Alexander Svirin in collaboration with Mikhail Lyashenko .
Books of this series were published from 1962 to 1970 at the publishing house "Kid" (until 1963 the publishing house was called "Children's World").
The main feature of the books in this series is the flow of popular science information for children in a playful way - as a process of studying the world around us by alien children.
Judging by the final of the last book, a sequel was planned, but the series remained ragged and unfinished. [one]
Only 5 books were published in the series:
- Svirin A., Lyashenko M. To the Earth is still far / Khudoz. B. Markevich and N. Grishin. - M .: Children's World, 1962. - 96 p. - (Book of knowledge. 1). - 115,000 copies.
- Svirin A., Lyashenko M. One can live on this planet / Khudoz. B. Markevich and N. Grishin. - M .: Children's World, 1964. - 96 p. - (Book of knowledge. 2). - 115,000 copies.
- Svirin A. Operation "Ocean" / Fig. V. Sevryugova. - M .: Kid, 1965 .-- 96 s. - (Book of knowledge. 3). - 115,000 copies.
- Svirin A. Big hunt / Ill. G. Nikolsky and others. - M .: Kid, 1966. - 96 p. - (Book of knowledge. 4). - 115,000 copies.
- Svirin A. Expedition to the ancestors / Ill. V. Schapov and V. Sevryugov. - M .: Kid, 1970 .-- 112 p. - (Book of knowledge. 5). - 115,000 copies.
Three school friends - Lenka, Genka and Vitka - get together at Lenka’s house and fantasize with the participation of Lenka’s grandfather, an honored scientist.
In fact, they are all the crew of an alien spacecraft. Behind them are monkey tails and dragonfly wings. Their real names are Nkale, Kagen and Tkavi. The captain of the ship is Landed.  .
The goal of the interstellar expedition is to study the planet Earth.
Captain Landed possesses a wealth of scientific knowledge, which he gladly shares with all the expedition members during his flight and travels around the Earth.
In the last book (“Expedition to the Ancestors”), the heroes, due to a program error, “lost in time” and wander about earthly history; the finale involves a sequel - which, however, did not follow (the further fate of the heroes is unknown).
... the plot is interrupted ... not because the imagination of the author has run out, but by the will of the publishing house "Kid", which had so successfully begun and continued for ten years an excellent, useful publication. Apparently, this is not the fault of the maliciousness of the editors who are well aware of the success of books whose hundred thousand copies diverged instantly. It’s just that in recent years there has been a refinement of the age parameters of the “Baby”. A. Svirin’s books were too “mature”. They are designed for readers from 7 to 15 years.- Science and Religion , 1974, no. 1-6. with. 86
- The names of the heroes are formed by rearrangement of the places of the syllables of their “earthly” names: Le-nka = Nka-Le, Gen-ka = Ka-gene, Vi-tka = Tyka-vi, Landed = Len
- http://kotenok.rusf.ru/book/book_of_knowledge.htm - scanned images and PDF files created from books in the Knowledge Book series.
- The book of knowledge (a series of children's books) on the site " Science Fiction Laboratory "