The Truth is a humorous fantasy of the famous English writer Terry Pratchett .
|Next||Thief of time|
|The year of publishing||2000|
|Translator||N. Berdennikov, A. Zhikarentsov|
|Publishing house||Eksmo Press|
|The year of publishing||2008|
|ISBN||ISBN 978-5-699-28087-2 , 0-385-60102-6|
The twenty-fifth book of the Flat World cycle is not included in any of the sub-cycles.
Stunning news! Only here! Only in the new, long-awaited novel by Terry Pratchett!
You will learn the whole truth about how a woman gave birth to a cobra! The famous Talking Dog Ankh-Morpork will open its face! The people who were abducted by elves and flying saucers are eyewitness accounts! Werewolves in armor - a werewolf serves in the City Guard ?! Well, all sorts of patrician killers, fun vegetables, dog rains, falling meteorites and much more!
The truth is giving you freedom!
Rumors spread around Ankh-Morpork like a fire - the dwarves learned to turn lead into gold. And this time, the rumors turned out to be fairly true. The world's first printing press turned out to be a real treasure - with its help in the city appeared what, after a very short time, they began to call the Press.
The editor of the first newspaper in the world, he is also a journalist, proofreader, etc. - William de Slovve - must maintain his newspaper at the proper level to attract the attention of buyers. In search of news, he scours around the city and becomes involved in the investigation of a serious crime, so serious that power can be changed in Ankh-Morpork . The current patrician Vitinari is taken into custody, and a fight has already begun for his place. The Guard of Ankh-Morpork does everything possible to establish the truth. But they have competitors - William de Slove with his assistant Saharissa Reznik , conducting their independent journalistic investigation. They managed to uncover another conspiracy against the patrician. This time, the conspirators decided to abandon the banal murder, instead they planned to accuse him of assaulting a person and trying to appropriate a large sum of money - seventy thousand Ank-Morpork dollars. According to the plan of the conspirators, the New Office criminal group hired by them was supposed to imitate an attempt by the patrician to flee with this money and the murder of Secretary Stukpostuk .
William and Saharissa, ahead of the guards by several steps, were able to reveal the plans of the conspirators. Having printed detailed reports on the journalistic investigation in their newspaper, they thwarted their plans.
Main characters in action
- William de Slovve - a young aristocrat who went against the traditions of a kind for independence.
- Saccharissa Reznik is a poor girl, his colleague.
- Otto Fskrik , a vampire from the black ribbon (who refused to drink blood), is fanatically passionate about iconography, although the flash necessary for some iconography gives him excruciating pain, and especially bright, even kills him.
- Mr. Tulip is a hired bandit.
- Mr. Nail is a hired bandit.
- Havlock vitinari
- King Harry
- The book contains many references to the Watergate scandal , in which the press also played a large role in the investigation. More information is available in the Annotated Pratchett File for this book .
- The names of the two printers resemble the names of famous typographers - Jambattista Bodoni and William Kezlon .
- The main printer is named Dobrogor ( English Goodmountain ), which is a literal translation from the German name of the inventor of printing Johann Gutenberg (Gut - good, good, Berg - mountain).