Koevoet (pronounced kufut : ˈkuːfut , translated from Afrikaans "crowbar", abbreviated Operation K , also SWAPOL-COIN (from South West Africa Police Counter-Insurgency Unit )) is a special counter-insurgency paramilitary unit of the South African police from the local population, used to combat partisans of the national liberation movement SWAPO in Namibia .
The Kuvut units consisted of 850 troops, most of whom belonged to the Ovambo Negro ethnic group , headed by 300 white officers and noncommissioned officers. Officers were recruited from the South African police and South-West African police and received additional training in parts of the South African special forces. Every 40 people formed a platoon (patrol) and were equipped with Casspir mini-protected armored personnel carriers , each of which was armed with a 20-mm gun. The service was as follows: a week of patrols in the bush, followed by a week of rest at the base in the camp of Oshakati . The fight was conducted almost exclusively with the SWAPO guerrilla units, but was accompanied by reprisals against the civilian population, torture and murder of detainees, mass rape and similar crimes.
Kufoot was organized in 1978 as the idea of Hans Dreyer, then a colonel, and then a major general in the South African army. He was guided by the “ flushas ” that Portugal used in Angola against the partisans, and the Selous Scouts from Rhodesia , as well as by the native trackers, who along with the white officers served in the colonial units. During its existence, Kuvut lost 153 people killed and in turn destroyed at least 3,681 partisans of SWAPO.
The unit was disbanded in September – October 1989 , after the proclamation of independence of Namibia  .
- Green, Sparks. Namibia: The Nation After Independence. - P. 1–134.
- Vanneman, Peter. Soviet Strategy in Southern Africa: Gorbachev's Pragmatic Approach . - Hoover Press Publications, 1990. - ISBN 0-8179-8901-3 .
- Hooper, Jim. Koevoet . - Southern Book Publishers, 1988. - ISBN 1-86812-167-4 .
- Kamongo, Sisingi. The Shadows in the Sand: A Coevoet Tracker's Story of Insurgency War / Sisingi Kamongo, Leon Bezuidenhout. - International Pub Marketing, 2011. - P. 293. - ISBN 0-620-47479-3 . Archived copy of April 6, 2012 on Wayback Machine
- Stiff, P. The Covert War: Koevoet Operations in Namibia 1979–1989 , Galago Publishing Pty Ltd, 2000. ISBN 1-919854-03-7
- Zhu, Yunxia. §5: Violence and Intimidation in Namibia // UN Peacekeeping in Action: The Namibian Experience / Yunxia Zhu, Roger Hearn. - Nova Publishers, 1999. - ISBN 1-56072-653-9 .
- Koevoet Member Confesses to Commission , Cape Town: SAPA (July 23, 1997). The appeal date is April 19, 2012.
- Sean Mark Callaghan Application for Amnesty . Truth and Reconciliation Commission (South Africa) (January 29, 2001). The appeal date is April 19, 2012.
- Turner, John W. Continent Ablaze. The Insurgency Wars in Africa 1960 to the Present. - Johannesburg: Jonathan Ball, 1998. - ISBN 1-85409-128-X .
- Chesterman, Simon. Civilians in War . - Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2001. - ISBN 1-55587-965-9 .
- Venter, Al J. The Chopper Boys. Helicopter Warfare in Africa. - Gibraltar: Ashanti, 1994. - ISBN 1-85367-177-0 .
- Wren, Christopher S .. South Africa Disbands Special Police in Namibia , New York Times (October 1, 1989). The appeal date is October 24, 2007.
- Targeted by the Civil Cooperation Bureau . Truth and Reconciliation Commission (South Africa) (September 28, 2000).
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission ( Truth and Reconciliation Commission June 17, 1997). Text
- Namibia: UNTAG Background Undefeated . United Nations (June 7, 2001).
- Howard, Lise Morjé. UN Peace Implementation in Namibia: The Causes of Success (Eng.) // International Peacekeeping : journal. - Vol. 9 , no. 1 .
- Hooper, Jim. Koevoet! . - Southern Book Publishers, 1988. - ISBN 1-86812-167-4 .
- Howard, Lise Morjé. UN Peacekeeping in Civil Wars . - Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. - ISBN 978-0521707671 .
- Lord, Dick. From Fledgling To The Eagle: During The Border War . - 30 ° South Publishers, 2008. - ISBN 1-920143-30-0 .
- Truth and Reconcilliation Commission of South Africa ], vol. Volume 2, 1998 , < http://www.justice.gov.za/trc/report/finalreport/Volume%202.pdf >
- Hamann, Hilton. Days of the Generals . - Zebra, 2001. - ISBN 1-86872-340-2 .
- O'Brien, Kevin A. The South African Intelligence Services: From Apartheid to Democracy, 1948-2005 . - Taylor & Francis, 2011. - ISBN 0-415-43397-5 .