John Friedmann ( eng. John Friedmann ; April 16, 1926 , Vienna - June 11, 2017 , Vancouver ) is an American geographer and urbanist of Austrian origin.
|John (Hans) Friedmann|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Vienna , Austria|
|Date of death|
|Place of death||Vancouver , Canada|
|Scientific field||socio-economic geography , urban studies , economics|
|Place of work|
|Awards and prizes|
John (Hans) Friedmann was born in Vienna , lived in Austria until the age of 14, then moved with his family to Germany , in 1944 he received American citizenship. He studied at the University of Chicago , where he received a master 's degree , and in 1955 - a doctoral degree . During his studies at the university in 1952-1954 he worked in the commission for the territorial planning of the Tennessee Valley . In 1955-1958 he taught in Brazil (he lectured to officials and students in the framework of US AID activities), in 1958-1961 he was an employee of the American representation in South Korea , where he was engaged in economic development.
In 1961-1965 he was associate professor (associate professor) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at the department of urban and regional planning. In 1966-69, he worked in Chile as part of the Ford Foundation's urban and regional development program , while teaching at a local university.
In 1969–1996 he worked at the University of California , where he established the Department of Urban Planning. He taught in other universities. In 1996-2001 he lived in Melbourne . Since 2001 - Honorary Professor of Canadian University of British Columbia .
He died on June 11, 2017 in Vancouver at the 92nd year of life  .
Contribution to science
Known as one of the founders (along with Torsten Hagersstrand and Immanuel Wallerstein ) the center-peripheral paradigm in geography, considered it in the context of cities and urban agglomerations . Based on his own work experience in developing countries, he developed a theory of spatial planning.
Author of numerous works on urban planning and territorial planning, including a number of monographs:
- The Territorial Structure of Economic Development in the Tennessee Valley The Spatial Structure of the Tennessee Valley (Research Monograph). Department of Geography, University of Chicago, 1955 (doctoral dissertation, unpublished)
- Regional Policy: The Venezuelan Experience Regional Development Policy: A Case Study of Venezuela. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1966
- Urbanization, planning and development of the country Urbanization, Planning, and National Development. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 1973. Published in Spanish (Mexico City: Editorial Diana, 1976)
- Urbanization: A Comparative Analysis of Newly Industrialized Countries The Urban Transition: Comparative Studies of Newly Industrializing Societies. London: Edward Arnold, Ltd., 1976. (With Robert Wulff)
- Territory and its functions: the evolution of regional planning Territory and Function: The Evolution of Regional Planning. London: Edward Arnold, Ltd., and Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1979. (with Clyde Weaver)
- Life Space and Economy Space: Planning Essays in Third World Countries Life Space and Economic Space: Essays in Third World Planning. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Books, 1988
- Delegation of Authority: Alternative Development Policy Empowerment: The Politics of Alternative Development. Cambridge, Mass .: Basil Blackwell Publishers, 1992 Translated and published in several other countries
- Cities and their prospects The Prospect of Cities. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2002
- China's Urban Transition. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2005
- Introduction to Democratic Planning Introduction to Democratic Planning. Rio de Janeiro: Getulio Vargas Foundation, 1959. (in Portuguese)
- Venezuela: from doctrine to dialogue Venezuela: From Doctrine to Dialogue. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1965
- Turning America: Transition Planning Theory Retracking America: A Theory of Transactive Planning. Garden City: Doubleday and Anchor Books, 1973. An Urban Affairs Library Selection
- Good Society The Good Society. Cambridge, Mass .: MIT Press, 1979
- Public Sector Planning Planning in the Public Domain: From Knowledge to Action. Princeton University Press, 1987
- Dialectic of common sense Dialektik der Vernunft. Ein Vortrag an der Universität Dortmund. Dortmunder Beiträge zur Raumplanung Nr. 55 Blaue Reihe. IRPUD, 1991
- The Museum of Solomon Guggenheim
- In memoriam: John Friedmann, 91, was the father of urban planning UCLA . newsroom.ucla.edu (September 10, 2017). The date of circulation is September 10, 2017.