Runden  or Runund  ( lat. Rundāni , Latvian. Rundēni ) - a village in the Runden volost of the Ludza region , volost center. In the village, six roads converge from the settlements of Zirgi , Kaunat , Lauderi , Vetsslabad , Raipole and Sapozhniki . Ludza is about 41 km away  . According to data for 2017, 224 people lived in the village  .
|Latvian. Rundēni , lat. Rundāni|
|History and Geography|
|Timezone||UTC + 2|
|Population||224 people ( 2017 )|
The name Rundeny received from the Latgalian words "stream" and "warm water"  . In the XVII century belonged (possession) Kublitsky. The 18th century belonged to the Yodks, from whom at the beginning of the 19th century Andrzej Shahno received it.
In 1933, the Runden received the status of a village, in 1935 38 residential buildings were built.
In Soviet times, the village was the center of the Rundensky village council of the Ludza district . In the village was the central estate of the Runden state farm  .
|Population||1935 year||1940 year||1989 year||year 2000||2007 year||year 2009|
|person||288||~ 4000||445||401||~ 500||271|
- In the center of Rundan are the Runden School (not working since 2007), a preschool educational institution, an outpatient clinic , a library (there is Internet access ), a public house, a post office, two grocery stores. There is a bus stop "Rundēni". By public transport - bus you can get to the following settlements: Ludza , Zirgi, Pakalny , Kovalishki , Borisovo , Brodyzha , Gayevo , Pilda , Nyukshi , Listaki , Martishi , Konetspole , Lazari , Vecslabad , Sobolino , Shakuri , Lauderi, Scredel, Ploski , Zilupe , Brigi, Pikava , Skrini , Bobishi , Istalsna , Mezhavapri , Dzinigali , Vertulovo , Salei , Raipole , Nirza , Khoroshevo , Humps , Pildagrechi  .
Hill of Crosses
- In the center of Rundan is a local attraction - Mount of Crosses. In 2000, Rundan resident ascetic Janis Alnis (a famous Latvian rocket designer, teacher at the Riga Polytechnic Institute) cleared the local slide from the rubble, on which in ancient times there was a church built by Dominican monks. In the period until 2007, through the efforts of Janis Alnis on the Mount of Crosses, crosses of various shapes and faiths, steles with runic inscriptions were installed, a huge boulder on which nature itself depicted a cross, many flowers and plants were planted. A cross made of a 700-year-old oak dominates the mountain. At the top there was a chapel in which, instead of a bell, a detail from a tractor trailer  .
Runden Roman Catholic Church of the Ascension of Christ
- The church is located in the center of Rundan, opposite the bus stop. The church has no towers, around it there is an iron fence on a stone base, there is a free-standing small bell tower with two bells. Built around 1820  by the local landowner Andrei Shakhno. The church has a crypt in which the family of the landowner Viktor Shakhno, the descendant of Andrei Shakhno, is buried. Viktor Shakhno himself emigrated during the Second World War . Until 1946, the crypt was accessible to visitors, but was subsequently walled up to prevent plunder.
Rundenu Manor / Runden School / Museum
- The building of the Runden School is located on the estate owned by the Polish landowner Viktor Shakhno. From the once rich and beautiful estate of Runden, only a park now remains. On his estate, he planted two alleys - on one side there was a linden alley, on the other a spruce one. The linden alley is still preserved. But unfortunately, due to their high growth, limes attract lightning strikes and die. The spruce alley was cut down during the Second World War for construction purposes. At present, a school complex is located on the estate. In 1938, construction began on the new building of the Runden High School. The construction was led by Arthur Burtnieks, the future director of the school. The school was built by hand. Gravel and sand were worn on the second and third floors. There was no technique. In 1939, a huge, spacious school building was opened. The school became double-threaded. Now the building of the Runden School is empty - in 2007 there was the last academic graduation.
School in winter
Road to school
School in summer
- Map sheet O-35-140 Dagda . Scale: 1: 100,000. Status of the terrain in 1980. 1981 edition
- I. Dukalskaya. Latgale, my pain (2015).
- Administrative and territorial division of the Latvian SSR 1978 . - Riga: Liesma, 1978. - 137 p. - 8000 copies. (Latvian) (Russian)
- Database of geographical objects of Latvia (Latvian)
- Will crosses help Latgale, 2007-07-21
- Schedule of bus routes www.1188.lv unopened (unavailable link) . Date of treatment March 3, 2008. Archived March 18, 2008.
- Assassination attempt on Mount of Crosses, 2007-10-30 (inaccessible link) . Date of treatment March 2, 2008. Archived March 29, 2008.
- jonins.mii.lu.lv, 2002-08-10 unopened (inaccessible link) . Date of treatment March 2, 2008. Archived on April 29, 2008.