Lewis (also the Aile of Lewis ) ( Eng. Lewis , Gaelic. Leòdhas [ʎɔː.əs̪] or Eng. Isle of Lewis , Gaelic. Eilean na Leòdhais ) - the northern part of the island of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides archipelago in Scotland . The southern part of the island is called Harris , but the island does not have a common name (except for “Lewis and Harris”). Historically, Lewis entered the county of Invernessshire , while Harris belonged to Rosshire .
Lewis & Harris is part of the Outer Hebrides and is separated from the northern part of the Inner Hebrides and the Highland coast by the North Mintch Strait (or simply Mintch). Lewis has an area of 1770 square meters. km and occupies the northern ¾ islands. The border between the parts runs along the line connecting the eastern edge of Loch Resort Bay and Loch Seafort Bay.
With the exception of small areas in the south with hills up to 574 m high, Lewis is characterized by a more flat landscape than mountainous Harris. Lewis is also more fertile than Harris and the other islands of the Outer Hebrides . Here is the largest city and administrative center of the Western Isles region - Stornoway , where three quarters of the population of the Outer Hebrides are concentrated here (18489 people according to the 2001 census).
The population of Lewis is concentrated along the coast, the only settlement in the interior is the village of Ahmore. Large settlements besides Stornovey (about 8000 people) are North Tolsta , Karloway , Kalanish . At the same time, traditionally, most Lewis inhabitants lived on separate farms scattered throughout the island ( English crofts ).
Like other islands of the Outer Hebrides, Lewis was part of the Scottish-Norwegian Kingdom of the Islands , there was a significant Scandinavian colonization: it is estimated that up to 80% of place names in Lewis (the ancient Scandinavian Ljóðhús “area of Llod”, on behalf of Llod, from which also the Scottish surname Macleod ) are Scandinavian, significant Scandinavian influence can be traced in the local dialects of the Scottish language )  . The chess pieces found in the British Museum and the Royal Museum of Edinburgh, found on Lewis Island in 1830 and are a significant monument of Scandinavian arts and crafts , are very well known. Lewis became part of Scotland under the Treaty of Perth in 1266 , but the Hebrides retained significant autonomy for a long time.
Compared to other areas of Scotland, Lewis has a relatively well-preserved Celtic Scottish folk culture and Scottish Gaelic language : up to 60% of the population speak it regularly, and up to 70% can understand it; in some areas the proportion of Gaelic speakers exceeds 70%. Most Lewis residents are Presbyterians , which also contributed to the good preservation of the Gaelic language, since the Presbyterian church did not prohibit its use in worship. Today, teaching in Gaelic is conducted in 15 of the island's 22 elementary schools. 
The island is also famous for the attraction "Blackhouse Village" in the village of Garenin , which represents 9 restored traditional houses of local residents who lived and live in this region.
- Oftedal, Magne. The Gaelic of Leurbost, Isle of Lewis . Oslo: Universitetsforlaget, 1956.
- Information on the official website of the government of the Outer Hebrides An archived copy of June 23, 2007 on the Wayback Machine