Mathematician - a scientist , a specialist in the field of mathematics .
The profession of mathematics requires a university degree . Training in mathematical specialties is usually carried out in special educational units of universities. In the USSR, these were mathematical or mechanical-mathematical, physical-mathematical faculties  . Chartered mathematicians in the USSR worked as programmers , researchers at industry institutes, teachers , etc. 
Awards and Prizes
The most prestigious scientific prize awarded to mathematicians is the Fields Prize . Since 2002, the Abel Prize has been awarded annually for outstanding achievements in mathematics. Nobel prizes in mathematics are not awarded, but they were awarded to some mathematicians (for example, L.V. Kantorovich or J.F. Nash ) (although in other scientific fields - often to economics ).
Several renowned mathematicians have written autobiographies to, among other things, tell the public what made them devote their lives to this science. These works contain wonderful stories about what it means to be a mathematician. This list contains works, some of which are not autobiographies, but rather an essay on the subject of mathematics and the life of mathematicians with autobiographical elements.
- “Pages of an autobiography” - P. S. Alexandrov ;
- “I am a mathematician” - Norbert Wiener ;
- "Harvests and crops" - Alexander Grotendik
- “About my life” - Gerolamo Cardano ;
- “On the profession of mathematics”, “Mathematics - science and profession” - A. N. Kolmogorov ;
- The Math Mix — John Littlewood ;
- "Autobiography" - Bertrand Russell ;
- "The Adventures of Mathematics" - Stanislav Ulam ;
- “I want to be a mathematician” - Paul Halmos ;
- Apology Mathematics - Godfrey Hardy
- “Biography of Lev Semenovich Pontryagin, mathematician, compiled by himself. Birth 1908, Moscow ”- L. S. Pontryagin .
In popular culture
One of the most famous films about mathematics is the Oscar-winning biographical drama “ Games of the Mind ” by Ron Howard based on the book of the same name by Sylvia Nazar , which tells about the life of John Forbes Nash . This scientist fits perfectly into the stereotypical idea of the scientist as a misanthrope and his personality gives reason to start a conversation about the connection of genius and madness  .
"Famous mathematician" usually calls the hero of his children's poems and books - academician Ivanov - author Eduard Uspensky . In 1986, according to a book directed by Vladimir Popov , a cartoon was shot at the Soyuzmultfilm studio . [four]
- The beauty of math
- M.I. Bashmakov. Mathematician // World of professions. Man is a sign system. - The Young Guard, 1988.
- E. M. Dynkin. Mathematician (mathematical analysis and its applications) // World of professions. Man is a sign system. - The Young Guard, 1988.
- Sklar, 2012 , Kenneth Faulkner. The Mathematical Misanthrope and American Popular Culture, p. 198-218.
- Academician Ivanov (Soyuzmultfilm, 1986) . mults.info. Date of treatment June 8, 2016.
- A.N. Kolmogorov . Mathematics is a science and a profession . - M .: Nauka, 1988 .-- 288 p. - (Quantum Library). - 131,000 copies. - ISBN 5-02-013879-7 .
- S.N. Levieva, V.S.Shneyderov, Victor Vasilievich Shapkin. World of professions. Man is a sign system . - Young Guard, 1988 .-- 352 p. - (World of professions).
- George Poia . Mathematical discovery. Problem Solving: Basic Concepts, Learning and Teaching = Mathematical Discovery: On Understanding, Learning and Teaching Problem Solving. - M .: Nauka, 1970 .-- 452 p. - 60,000 copies.
- Hermann Weil . Mathematical thinking. - M .: Nauka, 1989 .-- 400 p.
- A Mathematician comes of age. - The Mathematical Association of America , 2012. - ISBN 978-0-88385-578-2 .
- Jessica K. Sklar, Elizabeth S. Sklar. Mathematics in Popular Culture: Essays on Appearances in Film, Fiction, Games, Television and Other Media. - McFarland, 2012 .-- 353 p. - ISBN 978-0-7864-4978-1 .
- Burkard Polster, Marty Ross. Math Goes to the Movies. - , 2012. - 304 p. - ISBN 978-1-4214-0484-4 .
- Mathematics // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : in 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.