The KMPlayer (derived from Kang Multimedia Player ; cor. KM 플레이어 ) is a Korean   player for audio and video files for Microsoft Windows and macOS , there is also a mobile version for Android ( The KMPlayer VR ). The KMPlayer supports almost all existing multimedia formats, including VCD , DVD , AVI , MKV , Ogg , OGM , 3GP , MPEG -1/2/4, WMV , RealMedia , FLV and QuickTime . The main features are a large number of built-in (according to some reports - sometimes with violation of the conditions of free licenses)   codecs and flexibility of settings. Based on it, another Daum PotPlayer media player was created, which has most of the settings of The KMPlayer, a similar interface, but differs from it by supporting even more formats.
Screenshot The KMPlayer 220.127.116.11
|Type of||media player|
|Author||Gan Yonghi ( Kor. 강용희 )|
|Written on||Delphi , C ++ , Netwide Assembler, and Visual C ++ |
|operating system||Windows 2000 (up to version 18.104.22.1684) / XP / Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10|
|First edition||October 1, 2002|
|condition||In active development|
The KMPlayer was originally developed by Korean programmer Gang Yonghi ( Cor. 강용희 ) and was first released by him on October 1, 2002  . On March 5, 2008, the administrator at the KMPlayer official forum announced that the player was purchased by the Korean video company ( cor. 판도라 TV ) in August 2007  .
In 2018, the KMPlayer version for 64-bit Windows operating systems appeared - KMPlayer 64X .
- Playing streaming and non-streaming video and audio of various formats, both open and closed;
- Playback of ultra-high definition video in 4K , 8K , Ultra High Definition, 60 FPS ;
- Built-in codecs (the libavcodec library is mainly used) allowing not to clog the system with "extra" registry entries;
- Play under-downloaded and “beaten” files;
- The ability to store settings both in the registry and in the configuration file;
- The ability to use the program as a portable player;
- Support for subtitles in various formats, including .ass ;
- Built-in subtitle editor;
- Ability to play external audio track;
- The ability to use plugins for Winamp ;
- There is support for covers ("skins", English skins );
- Capture video (without or with an audio track) / audio from a file;
- The ability to play a specific piece of material (set the start and end points);
- Ability to translate the graphical interface into all languages through text files.
Specific Video Features
- Ability to select a video handler;
- Deinterlacing ;
- Post-processing - improves quality, but increases the load on the processor ;
- Adjust sharpness and blur;
- AWarpSharp - significantly increases the quality, but creates a load on the processor (more than post-processing);
- Sequential noise reduction;
- Volume noise reduction;
- Level management;
- Support for external filters DScaler;
- Function of deceleration / acceleration (on FPS ) reproduction of material with preservation of a tone of a sound;
- Also, the color of the video track depends on what color gamut is contained in the first frames. To do this, you need to open the file not through KMPlayer, but through the explorer , by right-clicking on the file, and then the item 'open with KMPlayer';
- From version 22.214.171.124 KMP Plus, it is possible to convert 2D to 3D.
Specific Audio Features
- Automatic sound normalization - equalization of the audio signal volume level. This is useful when playing files with excessive volume differences, recordings that are too quiet or jagged. The reverse side - noise amplification is possible in quiet places of the phonogram, distortion of the dynamic range of music, etc.
Supported file types and devices
- Incomplete or damaged AVI files;
- Locked files during downloading or vice versa distribution (for example, during indexing by a program for exchanging files), provided that the file is downloaded in a row in a continuous piece;
- Streaming audio and video distributed via HTTP (ASF / OGG / MP3 / AAC / MPEG PS / MPEG TS are played only through internal splitters);
- Any type of multimedia playable through DirectShow ;
- Async File Source (network) - in-memory caching filter;
- Compressed albums (ZIP, RAR);
- Shoutcast (including NSV), Icecast ;
- DTS Wave, AC3 , AAC , Ogg , Ape , MPC , TTA (True Audio), FLAC , AMR , ALAC , SHN , WV , Module ( MOD , S3M , MTM , UMX , XM and IT ), etc.
- Google Video (GVI), Flash Video (FLV), Nullsoft Streaming Video (NSV), 3GP , VOB ;
- Files supported by a bundle of interfaces Real Engine + DirectShow (requires installed in the system RealPlayer or Real Alternative or their decoders);
- Files supported by the QuickTime + DirectShow interface bundle (requires QuickTime / Alternative or their decoders);
- Support for the MPlayer engine;
- Support for Winamp input plugins;
- DVD playback, ratDVD support (ratDVD filters required);
- Audio CD (2000, XP only);
- Video CD / SVCD / XCD: CDXA Format (2000, XP only);
- VCD Image File (BIN / ISO / IMG / NRG);
- Support WDM TV / HDTV / Camera / Cam devices and others;
- Adobe Flash / FLC / FLI;
- Various images, for example PNG , GIF ;
- MKV format, and others.
KMPlayer comes with almost all the necessary decoders required for multimedia playback.
- video codecs : DivX , XviD , Theora , WMV , MPEG-1 , MPEG-2 , MPEG-4 , VP3 , VP5 , VP6 , VP8 , H.263 (+), H.264 (AVC1) , CYUY, ASV1 / 2 , SVQ1 / 3 , MSVIDC , Cinepak , MS MPEG4 V1 / 2/3, FFV1, VCR1, FLV1, MSRLE, QTRLE Huffyuv , Digital Video , Indeo 3, MJPEG , SNOW , TSCC, Dirac , VC-1 , RealVideo , etc. P.
- Audio codecs: DTS , LPCM , MP2 , MP3 , Vorbis , AAC , WMA , ALAC , AMR , QDM2 , FLAC , TTA , IMA ADPCM , QCELP , EVRC , RealAudio , etc.
- external codecs.
Supported Subtitle Formats
- Unicode Subtitles
- SAMI (.sami, .smi): Ruby tag supports almost all attributes;
- SubRip Text (.srt), MicroDVD (.sub), SMIL / RealText ;
- SSA , ASS , USF (Ruby support);
- VobSub , Closed Caption ;
- Sasami 2K (S2k);
- Built-in subtitles of file formats ASF , MKV , OGM , MP4 , MOV , VOB , 3GP ;
- Text-to-speech for reading subtitles with a speech synthesizer.
KMPlayer supports the following types of Winamp v2 / v5 plugins: input, DSP / effect, visualization, and general-purpose. The path along which these plugins can be found, and the corresponding settings, can be indicated.
- WinAmp plugins: input, DSP, visual, main plugins (support media library, etc.);
- KMP video plugins from the SDK;
- DScaler filter support.
KMPlayer and Free Licenses
In February 2009, The KMPlayer project was added to the FFmpeg Project “Shame Hall” for using free codecs under the GNU GPL licenses without observing their conditions (in particular, source distribution requirements)   .
In 2005, the author of Media Player Classic pointed out to the developers of KMPlayer possible violations of the GPL  . One of the files created by him was deleted (possibly irrespective of the GPL)  , however, the developers of both players had doubts about the details of the GPL when distributing versions of dynamically connected libraries without modification and connecting them  .
- Kang Yong-Huee. 기본 설명 (Basic information) (cor.) . - " box. 제작 언어 / 제작 환경 [...] 델파이 7 [...] C ++ Builder 6 [...] NASM [...] DJGPP (GCC 3.2) [...] VC ++ 6.0 (Translation: Authoring language / authoring environment [...] Delphi 7 C ++ Builder 6 [ ...] NASM [...] DJGPP (GCC 3.2) [...] VC ++ 6.0) . " Date of treatment May 26, 2012. Archived June 26, 2012.
- 최강 의 미디어 플레이어 KMPlayer Build 300 (The ultimate media player KMPlayer Build 300) (cor.) (Unspecified) ? . 한국 델파이 동호회 델 마당 (Korea Delphi Club delmadang) (October 1, 2002). Date of treatment May 20, 2010.
- To all KMPlayer users . The KMPlayer's Forums (March 5, 2008). - “In order to develop the KMPlayer to the next level to accommodate growing needs from all over the world, Pandora TV, the largest video streaming company in Korea has acquired the technology including the source code and core engine for the KMPlayer from the original developer , Kang Yong-Huee on August, 2007. ” Date of treatment May 20, 2010.
- Issue 820: Kang Media Player violates FFmpeg's license . FFmpeg Issue tracker (February 6, 2009). Date of treatment March 17, 2009. Archived June 5, 2012.
- Hall of Shame . Website FFmpeg. Date of treatment March 17, 2009. Archived March 4, 2012.
- Discussion of GPL violation . Forum ??? . SourceForge.net (2005-2008). Date of treatment March 17, 2009. Archived March 4, 2012.
- KMPlayer - GPL Violation - The KMPlayer's Forums
- Z. Do not believe bad rumors spread in networks . The KMPlayer's Forums (November 19, 2005). Date of treatment March 17, 2009. Archived March 4, 2012.
- kmplayer.com - The KMPlayer official site
- The KMPlayer official Facebook page
- The KMPlayer on Twitter
- The KMPlayer on Google Play
- The KMPlayer Official Forum
- Rostislav Panchuk. Select a media player to view HD-video . Home PC (June 20, 2008). Date accessed August 26, 2010. Archived February 21, 2012.
- Ilya Shpankov. KMPlayer - Total Uninstaller - Eastegger - Vopt (inaccessible link) . Computerra (August 31, 2007). Date of treatment August 26, 2010. Archived October 22, 2011.
- Evgeny Molodov. Is there life after Windows Media Player? .Gambling . Date of treatment August 26, 2010.
- Sergey and Marina Bondarenko . Free media players . 3DNews (January 23, 2008). Date of treatment August 26, 2010.