Pyotr Timofeevich Tronko ( Ukrainian: Tronko Petro Timofiyovich ; June 29 ( July 12 ) 1915 , Kharkov Oblast - September 12, 2011  ) - Soviet and Ukrainian historian, social and political figure. Academician of NASU . Hero of Ukraine (2000). Laureate of the USSR State Prize (1976).
|Pyotr Timofeevich Tronko|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Zabrody village |
Kharkov province ,
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
|Alma mater||KSU named after T. G. Shchevchenko|
|Academic degree||Doctor of Historical Sciences ( 1968 )|
|Academic rank||academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR , academician of NASU|
|Awards and prizes|
Born in the village of Zabrody (now the Bogodukhovsky district , Kharkov region , Ukraine ) (according to other sources - in the village of Bashtanka , Nikolaev region ) in a peasant family. Ukrainian . Early left without a father  .
In 1933, for some time he worked as an auxiliary worker in the underground mine face. After completing one-month teacher courses, he worked as a teacher of the Ukrainian language and social studies in an incomplete secondary school in a village near Bogodukhov in the Kharkiv region , and was a secretary of the Komsomol committee. He served in the Red Army , studied at the Yeysk school of sea pilots, after demobilization he headed the Lebedinsky orphanage.
He was nominated for Komsomol work:
- since 1937 - head of the propaganda department, then the first secretary of Lebedinsky (Sumy region) of the Komsomol district committee,
- in September 1939, as a knowledgeable Ukrainian, he was sent to Western Ukraine to work as part of the interim departments, worked in Lviv,
- in early October 1939 he was approved as 1 secretary of the Komsomol regional committee in Stanislav .
- He was elected a delegate to the National Assembly of Western Ukraine ( Lviv , October 1939) from the Nazovizivsky district of the Nadvirnyansky district of Stanislavsky voivodship.
Member of the CPSU since 1939.
During the Great Patriotic War, as part of the army, first as part of the 26th airbase area, and then the 8th air army, retreated from the border to Voronezh , participated in the defense of Kiev , Rostov-on-Don, in the Battle of Stalingrad , in the liberation Donbass and the liberation of Kiev . At the end of October 1943, he was recalled from the army and approved by the first secretary of the Kiev regional and city Komsomol committees with the rank of major in aviation (assistant to the head of the political department of the army for Komsomol work). Participated in the restoration of Kiev. Participated in the celebration of May 9, 1945 on Red Square in Moscow.
In 1945, as part of the Ukrainian Komsomol delegation, he attended the International Conference of Democratic Youth in London . He served as second secretary of the Central Committee of the Komsomol. In 1947, at the plenum of the Central Committee of the Komsomol, he was accused by L. M. Kaganovich of "national narrow-mindedness and dulling political vigilance";  , after which he was dismissed from the post of second secretary of the Central Committee of the Komsomol with the wording "as released for training." In 1948 he graduated from T.G.Shevchenko KSU , in 1951 he defended his thesis on historical sciences at the Academy of Sciences under the Central Committee of the CPSU . Since 1951 he worked as the head of the science department of the Kiev regional party committee; from 1961 to 1978 - deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR (on humanitarian issues).
The delegate of the XXII Congress of the CPSU . He was the deputy chairman of the All-Union Organizing Committee created on the initiative of N. S. Khrushchev to prepare for the centenary of the death and 150th anniversary of the birth of T. G. Shevchenko (1961 and 1964, respectively). At the end of 1965, he was the head of the Ukrainian delegation at the 20th session of the UN General Assembly in New York, personally handed a medal from the USSR to the then UN Secretary General U Thant . He headed the Ukrainian government delegation at the EXPO-67 World Exhibition in Montreal.
He initiated the creation of the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of Ukraine under the open sky in the village of Pirogovo near Kiev. He supervised the work on the celebration of the 250th anniversary of the birth of Grigory Skovoroda in 1972. In the 1970-1980s, he headed the Ukrainian Society for the Protection of Monuments of History and Culture (UOOPIK). He supervised the transportation and personally accompanied to Kiev the golden pectoral , discovered by B.N. Mozolevsky on June 21, 1971 in the Tolstaya Mogila burial mound near the city of Ordzhonikidze of the Dnepropetrovsk region of the USSR. He was the initiator of the publication and the chairman of the editorial board, published with the support of VV Shcherbitsky in 1975, of the 26-volume “ History of Cities and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR ” (work has been ongoing since 1962)  . Being the first deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of Ukraine oversaw the project of creating the “National Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945” in Kiev: he personally recommended the participation of the sculptor E. V. Vuchetich  . According to P. P. Tolochko , it was P. T. Tronko who owned the idea of celebrating Kiev’s “Birthday” - its 1500th anniversary in 1982  . He worked with D. S. Likhachev during the preparation and conduct of the IX World Congress of Slavists, held in Kiev in 1984.
Since 1978, academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR and in 1978-79. her vice president. Doctor of historical sciences, professor.
He was a deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine . He was an adviser to the President of Ukraine L. D. Kuchma on the preservation of historical heritage.
He headed the department of the Institute of History of the NAS of Ukraine. He headed the All-Ukrainian Fund named after Oles Honchar, the Union of Local Lore of Ukraine, the magazine "Kraznavstvo". Member of the Shevchenko Committee. Chairman of the Council of the public organization "Kharkov community." He was the initiator of the creation of the informational and methodological bulletin of the Ukrainian Society for the Protection of Monuments of History and Culture “Monuments of Ukraine” (now the journal “Memories of Ukraine” ). He prepared the publication of the all-Ukrainian historical and documentary series “ ” - about innocently repressed Ukrainians.
Married in early 1936, wife Valentina Ivanovna. Daughters of Larisa Tronko and Zhanna  . After the death of her father, Larisa Petrovna became a victim of fraud: as she learned from her words, a certain Anatoly Serikov, who established the charity foundation of academician Tronko and deprived his daughter of apartments and expensive material and historical values , put confidence in her.
Shortly before his death, he suffered a stroke  . He was buried in Kiev on the central avenue of the Baykovoye cemetery  .
In the native village of P. T. Tronko, a memorial plaque was erected in his honor  . In 2015, in Kiev, the nameless passage between Zabolotny Street and the Pirogovo Museum was named after Academician Tronko  .
By his own admission, he is an atheist  . In 2011, P. T. Tronko said: “I consider the completion of the publication and the re-publication in Russian of the 26-volume“ History of Ukraine and the Ukrainian RSR ”as the most significant result of scientific work. This was not the case in any republic of the former Union ”  . To the journalist’s question “Do you well remember the happiest day of your life?” But the most difficult? ”P.T. Tronko replied:“ On May 8, 1945, the end of World War II was announced on the radio. And on May 9, I met on Red Square in Moscow, amidst general rejoicing, tears of joy and great sadness for those who gave their lives for their homeland. The most difficult days were in 1932-1933, when there was nothing to eat. Subsequently, that period was called the Holodomor ”  . According to the testimony of her daughter, L. Tronko: “Although his father was a member of the CPSU, he considered the Holodomor a great mistake and the fault of the Communist Party and its leadership”  . As his daughter Larisa recalled, in her childhood she rarely saw her father busy with work, and if her mother thought that he needed to intervene in her upbringing: “Dad sat me in his arms and talked about prominent people. Most often - about Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya and Forest Ukrainka ”  .
Awards and titles
- Order of the Patriotic War I degree (6.4.1985)
- Order of the Red Star (5.5.1943)
- medal "For Military Merit" (23.2.1942)
- Hero of Ukraine (7.7.2000)  - for outstanding personal services to Ukraine in the development of science, the revival and preservation of the historical and cultural heritage of the Ukrainian people.
- USSR State Prizes (1976) for the 26-volume work History of Cities and Villages of the Ukrainian SSR (1967-1974)
- Lenin Komsomol Prize (1984) - for a series of works on the history of the Komsomol, the problems of military-patriotic and international education of youth
- Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky III degree (1997)  .
- Honorary citizen of Kanev , Kiev , Kharkov , Kamyanets-Podilsky , Lebedin , a total of 6 cities  .
- Obituary P.T. Tronko
- Petr Tronko: “If he had been in the role of Robinson Crusoe, he would have lived only half his term” - “FACTS”
- NIKIT Khrushchev, the first of the party activists of the Shevchenko Prize, the award was not awarded the archived copy of September 1, 2004 on the Wayback Machine .
- There were only four historians in the USSR who were awarded the State Prize.
-  (inaccessible link) .
- Petro Tolochko: “If an alternative point of view had won, it would have been believed that Kiev was a thousand years older” - “FACTS”
- Larisa Tronko: “I still do not dare to tell my mother about the death of her father. After all, parents lived together for 75 years! ”-“ FACTS ”
- “He introduced himself as a friend of my dad, his beloved disciple. And he told everyone that Pyotr Tronko was his second father ”-“ FACTS ”
- wife of local historian Pyotr Tronko still does not know about his death (inaccessible link)
- To one of the accusations of nationalism, Academician Tronko replied: "Love for your people is not nationalism, but just love" - FACTS
- A street named after Kakha Bendukidze appeared in Kiev - “FACTS”
- Larisa Tronko: “Pyotr Timofeevich once said:“ I cannot live less than my mother. She died at 96 years old. " And so it happened ”-“ FACTS ”
- President of Ukraine; Decree of 7.7.2000 No. 864/2000
- President of Ukraine; Decree of 4.12.1997 No. 1325/97
- Immortality of the young (From the history of the struggle of the Komsomol underground of Ukraine against the Nazi invaders during the Great Patriotic War). P.T. Tronko. Publishing House of the Komsomol Central Committee "Young Guard". Printing house "Red Banner". Moscow. 1958
- 85th anniversary of academician Petr Tronko (interview)
- Tronko Petro Timofiyovich (brief information) (Ukrainian)
- Petro Timofiyovich Tronko (biography) (Ukrainian)
- Tronko Petro Timofijovich (inaccessible link) (Ukrainian)
- History of Ukraine - Tronko Petro Timofiyovich, Academician of NASU (Ukrainian)