Volta (Akosomba; English; Volta , Akosomba )   - the largest river reservoir in the world by area (surface area - 8480 km²). Located on the Volta River in Ghana  .
View of the reservoir from the shuttle in April 1993
|Height above sea level||54  m|
|Square||8480  km²|
|Volume||148  km³|
|Coastline||more than 7000  km|
|Deepest||80  m|
|Average depth||18  m|
|Pool area||385,000 km²|
|Flowing watercourses||Black Volta , White Volta , Afram|
|Areas||Volta , Eastern Region , Brong Ahafo , Northern Region|
In 1961-1965 , near the city of Akosombo ( Ghana ), a Akosombo hydroelectric power station was built in a narrow gorge. As a result, after filling, the reservoir occupies 3.6% of the area of Ghana. When filling the territory with water, about 78 thousand people and about 200 thousand animals belonging to them were evicted. At the same time, hydropower plants provide most of the country with electricity .
From the reservoir flows the Volta River, which flows into the Gulf of Guinea  .
On the resulting reservoir, fishing and shipping are widely developed. The north of the lake is in the savannah zone , and the south is in the rainforest zone.
The length of the reservoir from north to south is about 400 km, the coastline is more than 7 thousand km, the coast is indented, and there are many small islands on the lake. The volume of the reservoir is about 148 km³ , the average depth is 18 m, the maximum is 80 m.  The height above sea level of the water surface is 85 m, the catchment area is 385 thousand km²  . Altitude - 54 m.
More than 5.5 million people live on the banks of the reservoir. person.
In 1964, 1966 and 1969, earthquakes were recorded in the vicinity of Volta, which was associated with the filling of the reservoir with water.
- Map sheet B-31-I . Scale: 1: 200 000. Indicate the date of issue / condition of the area .
- Volta // Great Russian Encyclopedia : [in 35 vol.] / Ch. ed. Yu.S. Osipov . - M .: Great Russian Encyclopedia, 2004—2017.
- Dictionary of modern geographical names / Rus. geo about . Mosk. Centre; Under the total. ed. Acad. V.M. Kotlyakova . Institute of Geography RAS . - Yekaterinburg: U-Factoria, 2006.
- Volta // Geographical Encyclopedic Dictionary: Geographic Names / Ed. A.F. Treshnikov . - 2nd ed., Ext. - M .: Soviet Encyclopedia , 1989. - P. 110. - 210 000 copies. - ISBN 5-85270-057-6 .
- Data Summary: Volta Lake (inaccessible link) . www.ilec.or.jp. Date of treatment April 20, 2012. Archived April 20, 2012.
- Volta Lake at ghanaweb.com . www.ghanaweb.com . Date of treatment January 17, 2019.