Amandus Heinrich Adamson  ( Est. Amandus Heinrich Adamson ), in Russia Amand Ivanovich (also Ammon Ivanovich  ), (November 12, 1855 , Uuga-Ryatsep farm, near the city of Baltic Port , Russian Empire - June 26, 1929 , Paldiski ) - Russian and Estonian sculptor and painter, academician, one of the founders of Estonian national art.
|Amandus Heinrich Adamson|
|est. Amandus heinrich adamson|
In 1914, photo studio Bulla
|Date of Birth||November 12, 1855|
|Place of Birth||Uuga-Ryatsep farm, near the city of Baltic Port , Harju County Russian Empire|
|Date of death||June 26, 1929 (73 years old)|
|Place of death||Paldiski , Harju County , Estonia|
|Ranks||Academician of IAH (1907)|
Amandus Adamson was born in 1855 and was the second child in the family of a sailor and a farmer. In 1860, Amandus' father sailed to America and did not return, the family considered him dead. He was given to the Revel Vyshgorod school for children from poor families, where he showed a penchant for art, carving figures from wood.
In 1875 he moved to St. Petersburg and in 1876 entered the Imperial Academy of Arts . He studied in the class of Professor Alexander von Bock. After graduating from the Academy, he remained in St. Petersburg, taught at the school of the Society for the Promotion of Arts .
From 1877 to 1881 he lived and worked in Paris , where he created the work "Everlasting Triumphant Love" and "Lyric Music".
In 1881 he returned to St. Petersburg, where he taught at the Stieglitz Art School . During this period, he participated in the reconstruction of the Mikhailovsky Palace , created the work "The Last Breath of the Ship."
In 1902, in Revel, in the Kadriorg park, he installed his most famous work - a monument to the dead sailors of the battleship “Mermaid” .
On September 27 (October 10, according to the new style), in 1905, the Monument to the Scuttled Ships was unveiled in Sevastopol, in which the sculptural work was carried out by Amandus Adamson (co-authors - architect V.A. Feldman , military engineer O. I. Enberg.
In 1907, on the recommendations of the famous painter Arkhip Ivanovich Kuindzhi , sculptor Alexander Mikhailovich Opekushin and architect Suslov, he received the title of academician.
In 1911, Adamson participated in the competition of the Academy of Arts projects of the monument in honor of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty . They were asked to build in Kostroma a grandiose structure 36 meters high with 26 sculptures of historical figures and bas-reliefs in a circle of a pedestal illustrating the most important events of Russian history. The committee for the construction of the monument chose his work, which took second place. The laying of the monument took place on May 20, 1913, during the celebration of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty in the presence of Nicholas II and his family. By 1917, a pedestal was built and some bronze figures were installed. After the October Revolution, the finished sculptures were sent for re-melting, and a monument to Lenin was erected on an empty pedestal.
In 1918 he moved to the places of his childhood - the city of Paldiski , where he lived and worked until his death on June 26, 1929. According to his dying wish, he was buried in the city of Pärnu . In Paldiski, the house where Adamson lived after moving to the city was preserved.
- The main sculptural works
- 1879 - wax sculpture "Baptism of Christ by John the Baptist "
- 1879-1881 - sculptural compositions "The Eternal Triumph of Love", "Lyrical Music" [* 1]
- 1892 - “Fisherman from Muhu Island”
- 1895 - sculptural composition "Dawn and Twilight"
- 1896 - sculptural composition " Kalevipoeg and the Horned"
- after 1896 - bas-reliefs for the friezes of the Russian Museum (halls No. 14 and 15), depicting in the form of an allegory the birth of works of art of painting, sculpture and architecture (St. Petersburg)
- 1897 - "In Anxious Expectation"
- 1901 - “Listening to the voice of the sea”
- 1902 - Monument to the battleship “Mermaid” [* 2] ( Kadriorg Park , Tallinn)
- 1903 - monumental and decorative design of the Trinity bridge [* 3] (St. Petersburg)
- 1902-1904 - sculptural decoration of the facade, dome and ball of the Singer company house (28, Nevsky Prospect, St. Petersburg)
- 1904 - The Champion [* 4]
- 1905 - composition "In memory of the ships sunk in 1854-1855 to block the entrance to the raid" (Sevastopol)
- 1911 - a monument to the “Cossacks who landed in Taman on August 25, 1792” ( Taman ), a monument to Johann Köhler , ( Viljandi )
- 1919 - sculptural composition "Youth disappears"
- 1922 - sculpture " Kalevipoeg at the gates of hell" [* 5]
- 1926 - Monument to Friedrich Kreutzwald ( Voru ), sculpture "The Last Breath of a Ship"
- 1928 - Guys from Tondi (demolished in 1941 
- 1928 - “The wife of the artist E. Adamson”, “Bather”
- 1929 - monument to the poetess Lydia Koidula [* 6] ( Pärnu )
- 1912-1916 - Monument in honor of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty , together with architect S. A. Vlasyev (Kostroma, not finished [* 7] )
- Sculptural decoration of the building of the School of Technical Drawing (St. Petersburg, Solyanoy lane , 9)
- The sculptural decoration of the House of the Brotherhood Eliseev Trade Partnership - Industry, Trade, Art and Science (St. Petersburg, 56 Nevsky Prospect)
- Tombstone on the grave of Bishop Plato ( Transfiguration Cathedral , Tallinn).
- Monument to Peter I ( Poltava )
- The sculptures “Mermaid on the stone” and “Arza and the robber Ali Baba” ( Miskhor ), “Lyrical music”, “The sea is noisy”, “The only wave kiss”, “The Birth of Venus” [* 8]
Adamson also worked as an artist; his paintings are kept in the State Art Museum of Estonia.
The Birth of Venus
Monument to Lydia Koidula in Pärnu
Sculptures on the house of Singer , Nevsky Prospect
"The last breath of the ship"
- List of sculptures by Amandus Adamson
- Adamson // A - Questioning. - M .: Great Russian Encyclopedia, 2005. - P. 209. - ( Great Russian Encyclopedia : [in 35 vols.] / Ch. Ed. Yu. S. Osipov ; 2004—2017, vol. 1). - ISBN 5-85270-329-X .
- Druzhneva N. A. From the history of the creation of a monument in Kostroma to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the reign of the Romanov dynasty (inaccessible link)
- “The Tondi Boys” are the four cadets of the school: Alexander Tomberg, August Udras, Arnold Allebras and Alexander Teder, who died during the Bolshevik coup on December 1, 1924.
- Were awarded the gold medal of the Paris Salon
- was opened on September 7, 1902, the 17-year-old maid of the sculptor Yuuli Roots posed for the figure of an angel.
- All cast iron parts were manufactured at the Revelsky factory of F. Wiegand
- First prize at the world exhibition in 1904, George Lurich served as a model for sculpture
- George Lurich served as the model for the hero’s figure
- was opened on June 9, 1929.
- plaster model of the monument was donated by the Government of the Republic of Estonia to the League of Nations; its further fate is unknown.
- The sculpture was replicated in a biscuit by the Imperial Porcelain Factory , copies are in the Art Museum of Riga (received in 1907 from the IPF), the Dnipropetrovsk Art Museum (received in 1913, a gift from the IPF), the Tretyakov Gallery (from old receipts. Inv. No. 27370); size - 94 × 52 × 74 cm.