Belostok Region ( Belorussian. Belastotskaya Voblast ) is an administrative unit in the territory of the Byelorussian SSR , created on December 4, 1939 after the incorporation of Western Byelorussia into the BSSR . The administrative center is the city of Bialystok .
|A country||the USSR|
|Included in||Belorussian SSR|
|History and Geography|
|Date of formation||1939|
|Date of abolition||1944|
|Largest cities||Grodno , Volkovysk , Augustow , Lomza|
|Notes: Bialystok region in 1940-1944|
The Bialystok region was formed by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of December 4, 1939 in the territory of 9 counties of the former Bialystok Voivodeship of Poland after the accession of Western Belarus to the BSSR . On April 4, 1940, the Supreme Soviet of the USSR approved the creation of the Bialystok region  . Located in the west of the BSSR.
On July 10, 1941, local Polish residents drove one and a half thousand Jews - women, old people, children who survived the pogroms that began after the Red Army retreated from the Bialystok region of the BSSR , into barn and burned alive (see article Pogrom in Edvabna )  .
After the German attack on the USSR in the territory of the Bialystok region on July 22, 1941, a German civil administration was created, which replaced the military occupation authorities. The special district of Bialystok was under German control until July 1944, when the city was liberated by the Red Army .
On September 20, 1944, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Berestovitsky , Volkovysky , Grodno , Svisloch , Skidel and Sopotsky districts of the region were transferred to the Grodno region , and the city of Bialystok and 17 more districts were transferred to Poland, where they again formed the Bialystok Voivodeship . The Bialystok region on September 20, 1944 was abolished  . The borders between Poland and the USSR were finalized by the state border agreement between Poland and the USSR of August 16, 1945 (ratified in 1946)
In 1944-1946 and in 1956-1959, the so-called “population exchange” was carried out between Poland and the Belorussian SSR (as well as between Poland and the Ukrainian SSR and the Lithuanian SSR), which for the most part meant the departure of some ethnic Poles from the Belorussian SSR to Poland , as well as the departure of some ethnic Belarusians from Poland to the Byelorussian SSR.
Initially, the area was divided into districts . In 1940, 24 districts were formed instead of counties:
- Monkovsky (in the same year it was renamed Knyshinsky )
- Porechsky (abolished in the same year)
- s: Law of the USSR of 04.04.1940 on supplementing the Constitution (Basic Law) of the USSR with Articles 29-a and 29-b and on amending and supplementing Articles 22, 23, 27, 28, 29 and 77
- Tomasz Strzembosz. Inny obraz sąsiadów
- Bialystok region . The Big Russian Encyclopedia is an electronic version . Date of treatment September 2, 2019.
Atlas gistoryi Belarusi hell of old age and our Zen. - Minsk: Publishing House "Belarusian Encyclopedia" named after Petrus Brovka, 2006. - P. 110. - 160 p. - ISBN 985-11-0376-4 .