The monastery in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary  in the city of Orel is the Orthodox male monastery of the Oryol diocese of the Russian Church . Located at Monastyrskaya Square, 3. The Bishop’s House has the address Monastery Square, 1. Entrance to the monastery is from the street 60 years of October.
Trinity Cathedral of the monastery at the beginning of the XX century. Destroyed in the 1930s.
|Diocese||Oryol and Liven|
|Founder||Father Superior Euthymius|
|Relics and Shrines||Ark with particles of relics of the saints of Kiev Pechersk Lavra|
|Status||OKN No. 5700720000|
On the territory of the Ostrog large (Ostrog standing) fortress Orel in 1660 - 1680 the Epiphany Monastery was located. Until 1673, he had no estates, no peasants, no sovereign salary, "the brethren fed around the world" (V. Petrov. Orlovsky Assumption (Epiphany) monastery. Orel: 1910). In 1674, Hieromonk Euthymius began rebuilding the Epiphany Monastery, which was badly damaged by the fire in July 1673.
In 1680, the Epiphany monastery burned down again. Only the Epiphany Cathedral spared fire, which is still in its former place. It was already impossible for the monastery to be in the city center, constrained from everywhere by private houses and retail shops, and the danger of a new fire was very great, so it became vitally necessary to transfer the monastery to another, more convenient place. The choice fell on the remote high bank of the Oka River, which at one time was planned for the transfer of the Oryol Kremlin.
One mile away from the city, down the Oka , on the land that belonged to the monastery, - Import Mountain and began to revive the monastery.
In 1684, a wooden church was erected in memory of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with the aisle of the Supreme Apostles Peter and Paul, and the monastery was called Holy Assumption.
Since 1686, the builder Euthymius, according to acts, is already found in the rank of abbot .
In 1688, with the blessing of His Grace Bishop Nikita of Archbishop Kolomensky and Kashira, the construction of the stone Assumption Church begins. On the day the church was laid from the former Epiphany monastery in a procession of the cross as a gift and the blessing of the new monastery from the elder Theodosius and the perspicacious shimonkh Anthony with the brethren, an icon was written in ancient Byzantine writing, it was venerated wonderfully and became throughout the subsequent history of the monastery its shrine.
On April 11 of the same year, the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God was consecrated. A bell tower was built near the refectory of the church, over which eight bells were lifted over time: weighing 20 pounds, 44 and 81 pounds, and 5 smaller ones, it is not known how many people weighed.
By the end of the 19th century, it was an extensive complex of buildings, which included administrative, residential and household buildings and five functioning churches: the Trinity Cathedral (1879), the Assumption Church (1693), the adjoining church of the Nativity of John the Baptist (1700), and the Trinity Church the tomb (1845) and the house at the hierarchal building of the Annunciation Church (1824). The hero of the Patriotic War of 1812, the lieutenant general, Baron F.K. Korf (1773 or 74-1823), the writer and theatrical figure, Count G.I. Chernyshev (1762-1831) were buried in the cemetery of the monastery.
Elimination and Children's Colony
After 1917, the necropolis at the Assumption Monastery was damaged; in the 1920s, tombstones from it went to repair the dam through the Oka. In 1932, the remaining tombstones were thrown into the river  .
After 1918, the complex of the former bishop’s house, undergoing perestroika, was used to house various institutions in it. From 1950 to 1980, there was a children's educational and labor colony . The cemetery was destroyed in the 1970s. during the construction of the parking lot. By 1980, almost all the temples of the former monastery were gradually destroyed.
In 1980, to carry the Olympic flame through the Eagle, the unique Assumption Church of the 17th century was destroyed, which was visible along the route of the torchbearers.
Revival of the monastery
Currently, the buildings of the former Assumption Monastery are completely lost. Of the buildings of the bishop’s house, only the two-headed Trinity Church-tomb, built in 1843-1845, has survived. (architect N. Efimov) commissioned by the Oryol governor A.V. Kochubey as a memorial temple, where his mother, wife and two sons were buried (graves lost). In 1992, restoration work was carried out on the building, and on January 22, 1993, the restored church was consecrated by Bishop Pavel, Orlovsky and Bryansk.
Since 1990, the construction of the new Assumption Church begins (according to a new project).
On April 20, 1992, by decision of the mayor of the city of Orel, A. G. Kislyakov, the territory of the former monastery was transferred to the Oryol-Bryansk diocese . Since 1996, monastic life has been resumed.
The monastery was reopened by decree of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church on June 9, 1998. Hieromonk Cornelius (Golovkov) was appointed rector.
In 2002, a new church was built and consecrated in the name of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The author of the project is architect M. B. Skorobogatov.
In 2004, the construction of the chapel in honor of the Blessed Prince Alexander Nevsky was completed on the territory of the monastery. In 2006, the chapel was consecrated. Under the chapel is an artesian well with a depth of 148 meters. Here, water is blessed and offered to parishioners. A silver tank is used to collect, store and bless water.
In 2008, the construction of a new five-domed cathedral, consecrated in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, was completed.
In 2013, the archbishop of Orlovsky and Bolkhovsky blessed the foundation stone for the construction of the church in the name of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Currently, the construction of the temple continues.
In 2017, the city of Oryol was returned to the Monastery Square that existed before the revolution, which gave the name to the entire microdistrict (“Monastery”), at the address of which the monastery itself and the bishop’s house are now listed. 
- Jerome (Zagorovsky) (1779-1788  )
- 1817-1818 Archimandrite Gabriel (Gorodkov)
- 06/09/1998 - 1999 Hieromonk Cornelius (Golovkov)
- 1999 - 2000 Hieromonk Seraphim (Zvyagin)
- 2000 - 06/10/2005 hegumen Avvakum (Kazurov)
- 06/10/2005 - 2007 Archimandrite Theodosius (Fatich)
- 2008 - 03/20/2010 and. about. Viceroy Hieromonk Efrem (Boenko)
- 03.20.2010 - 07.2011 Hegumen Arseny (Posnov)
- 11.2011 - present vr. Bishop of Lebanon and Maloarkhangelsk Nectarios (Seleznev)
- Vvedensky Monastery (Oryol)
- Monastery in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Inaccessible link) . Date of treatment January 31, 2011. Archived March 4, 2016.
- Livtsov V.A. Oryol Necropolis / V.A. Livtsov - Oryol: Publisher: IP Naumenko D.V., 2011
- Monastery Square was restored in Orel
- Runkevich S.G. Jerome (Zagorovsky) // Russian Biographical Dictionary : in 25 volumes. - SPb. - M. , 1896-1918.