Tathagatagarbha ( Sk . तथागतगर्भ [tathāgatagarbha] IAST) is literally “the container of the Tak Coming; the germ of the Tak Coming”; Chinese trad. 如来藏 , Ex . or about the presence of the buddha (“the nature of the buddha ”, in every living being.
Fundamentals of teaching, distribution
The doctrine of the Tathagatagarbha (or the theory of the Tathagatagarbha), was formed in India in the IV - V centuries . Its sources, presumably, were Buddhist thinkers of Maitreya - Asang , Vasubandhu and Saramati .
According to Russian Buddhist researchers, the authors of the teachings said in their treatises: 1) that all creatures can become buddhas, because there is nothing in the nature of beings that could prevent this, or 2) that all creatures already have buddhas (or the essence of the Buddha) and they only need to reveal, realize their “Buddhahood” (the word “ garbha ” can be translated, including, as “embryo [buddha]”)  .
It should be noted that not a single school of Buddhism outside India separated the teachings about the Tathagatagarbha in any of its forms, with the exception of a few trends in Chinese Buddhism and the Jonang School, whose activities took place in the 17th century . According to Susan Huckham The Ratnagotravibkhaga treatise devoted to the Tathagatagarbkhi sutras, with the commentary on Dharmadharmatavibha by Maitripa (11th century), became in Tibet not only the basis of the teachings of Mahamudra Marpa, but possibly also the teachings of Atisha . For the Kagyu school , Maitripa is the source of the practice of Mahamudra and the text of Ratnagothibiba. 
At present, the Tibetan Mahayana Buddhists more or less support the first of these points of view, the second in its own way - the Buddhists of China, Korea and Japan, as well as the Tibetan Buddhists who practice Dzogchen . The latter assert that the nature of the human mind is Awakening , or primordial knowledge ( rigpa , jnana , vidya )  .
The theory of Tathagatagarbha is close in its essence to the theory of the Alay-vijnan Buddhist yogacharins . The latter used the terminology of the followers of the teachings of tathagatagarbha in their writings, such as the Lankavatara Sutra and the Mahayana Sraddhotpada Shastra . Since the teaching on the “receptacle / germ So Coming” did not become an independent direction in Buddhism, it is sometimes associated with Yogachara.
- Buddhist philosophy
- Torchinov, 2000 , p. 111-112.
- Hookham SK The Buddha Within. Tathagatagarbha Doctrine According to the Shentong Interpretation of the Ratnagotravibhaga. SUNY Press , 1991. 422 p. ISBN 978-0-7914-0358-7
- Torchinov, 2000 , p. 110.
- Tathagata-garbha / Androsov V. P. // Social partnership - Television. - M .: The Great Russian Encyclopedia, 2016. - P. 703. - (The Great Russian Encyclopedia : [in 35 t.] / Ed. Yu. S. Osipov ; 2004–2017, t. 31). - ISBN 978-5-85270-368-2 .
- Litvintsev, O.S. The formation of the tathagat-garbha teachings in China // Philosophical and soteriological aspects of the Abhidharma, Prajninaramita and Tantra in Chinese Buddhism, Tibet and Buryatia / Sci. ed. L. E. Yangutov L. L. Vetluzhskaya . - Ulan-Ude: Publishing House of the Buryat State University , 2010. - P. 106-120. - 190 s. - ISBN 978-5-9793-0322-2 .
- E. Torchinov. Classical Buddhist Philosophy: Yogachara (Vijnjanavada) and the Tathagatagarbha Theory // Torchinov E. A. Introduction to Buddhology: a course of lectures . - SPb. : St. Petersburg Philosophical Society , 2000. - P. 92-119. - 304 s. - ISBN 5-93597-019-8 .
- Saramati . Mahayana treatise that there is no difference in the Dharma world
- Ashwaghosa Treatise on the awakening of faith in Mahayana
- Tathagatagarbha Buddhism (English) (not available link from 04-07-2018 [393 days])
- Tathagatagarbha // Encyclopedia " Krugosvet "