Archbishop Jerome II ( Greek Αρχιεπίσκοπος Ιερώνυμος B ' , in the world Ioannis Liapis , Greek Ιωάννης Λιάπης ; born March 10, 1938 , Inofita , Boeotia , Greece ) - Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church ; Archbishop of Athens and All Hellas (since 2008).
|Archbishop Jerome II|
|since February 16, 2008|
|Election||February 7, 2008|
|Intronization||February 16, 2008|
|Church||Greek Orthodox Church|
|October 4, 1981 - February 7, 2008|
|Church||Greek Orthodox Church|
|Episcopal consecration||October 4, 1981|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Relations with other local Churches
- 3 Awards
- 4 notes
- 5 Links
He studied at the philosophical and theological faculties of the University of Athens , which he graduated in 1967, and then was a graduate student at the University of Graz , Regensburg and Munich .
In 1967, he was ordained a presbyter and appointed protosynkel of Thebes and Levadia Metropolis (1967-1978). From 1971 to 1977 he was rector of the monasteries of the Transfiguration Sagmata and the Monk Luke (1977-1981). From 1978 to 1981 he was Secretary General of the Holy Synod of the Greek Orthodox Church.
Hirotonisan as bishop on October 4, 1981 . Before being elected Archbishop, he was Metropolitan of Thebes and Levadia (the diocese is in his native Boeotia). He ran for Archbishop in 1998 , but lost to Christodoulos . After the death of Christodoulos, he was elected Archbishop on February 7, 2008 in the second round of voting of the bishops held in the Annunciation Cathedral of the city of Athens.
The author of the monograph "Medieval Monuments of Euboea " ( 1970 , Prize of the Athens Academy of Sciences).
He is also a physician: Honorary Doctor of Medicine at the University of Craiova and President of the Hellenic Society of Cardiology .
On February 16, 2008, the Atronization of Jerome II took place in the Annunciation Cathedral of Athens. During the service, the locum tenens of the Archbishop's throne, Metropolitan Seraphim of Carist transferred the rod to the new Archbishop, a symbol of the authority of the First Hierarch of the Church of Greece  .
Relations with Other Local Churches
On February 7, 2008, Patriarch Alexy II congratulated Metropolitan Jerome of Thebes and Levadia on their election to the Archbishop's throne of Athens and expressed confidence in the continuation of friendly relations between the two Churches   ; On February 16, Patriarch Alexy II sent a message on the occasion of his intronization  .
During his visit to the Patriarchate of Constantinople in May 2008, Archbishop Jerome made a number of statements, which some observers regarded as a willingness to renounce a number of autocephalous rights of the Church of Greece   .
- The Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise of the First Degree ( Ukraine , July 27, 2013 ) - for outstanding church activities aimed at raising the authority of Orthodoxy in the world, and on the occasion of the celebration in Ukraine of the 1025th anniversary of the baptism of Kievan Rus 
- Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise, III degree ( Ukraine , 2008 ) 
- Golden Star of the Order of the Antioch Orthodox Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul ( 2011 ) 
- Order of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Grand Duke Vladimir I degree (ROC, 2012 ) 
- Order of the Holy King Constantine ( Serbian Orthodox Church , 2013 ) 
- The intronization of the new Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church took place. MP official site February 16, 2008
- The Russian Orthodox Church is confident in the fruitful development of relations with the Church of Greece. NEWSru.com February 8, 2008
- Patriarchal congratulations to Metropolitan Jerome of Thebes and Levadia on their election to the See of Athens.
- Patriarchal message on the occasion of the intronization of the new Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church. MP official site February 16, 2008
- new head of the official Greek Church is making unprecedented concessions to Constantinople, causing concern in Greece portal-credo.ru May 16, 2008
- Negotiations of the Princes of the Constantinople and Hellas Orthodox Churches took place on the official website of the MP on May 12, 2008
- Decree of the President of Ukraine No. 403/2013 “On awarding the Order of Prince Yaroslav the Wise” Archival copy of August 4, 2013 on the Wayback Machine
- Decree of the President of Ukraine of July 25, 2008 No. 670/2008 “On Awarding with State Prizes of Ukraine” Archived copy of January 28, 2014 on the Wayback Machine
- In Damascus, a prayer commemoration of the victims of the terrorist act at the Moscow Domodedovo airport
- Negotiations took place between His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and His Beatitude Archbishop Jerome of Athens
- primates of the Local Orthodox Churches celebrated the Liturgy in the city where St. Constantine the Great
- Metropolitan Jerome of Thebes and Levadia was elected the new Primate of the Church of Greece. Information message and Biographical Information of RIA Novosti / DECR Communication Service / Patriarchy.ru February 7, 2008
- A new primate of the Greek Orthodox Church was elected. NEWSru.com February 7, 2008
- His Beatitude Archbishop Jerome laid the foundation for changes in the life of the Greek Orthodox Church (inaccessible link) On the site pravoslavie.ru March 18, 2008
- His Beatitude Archbishop of Athens and All Hellas Jerome: To Be One in Christ
|Archbishop of Athens and All Hellas|
February 7, 2008 -