The modern coat of arms of Samoa was adopted in 1962 , the year Western Samoa gained independence from New Zealand .
|Coat of arms of Samoa|
The foreground of the coat of arms is a stylized image of the constellation Southern Cross . The shield, which has a silver base, also depicts green-white sea waves, a silvery sky and a coconut palm tree with golden coconuts. The side of the shield is dark blue and white. In the background of the shield are depicted radial patterns connected by red concentric circles, on the sides of which olive tree branches are depicted. Above the shield is a dark blue and red-white Latin cross with red rays. At the bottom of the coat of arms is the motto: “ FA'AVAE I LE ATUA SAMOA ” (translated from Samoan language - “ God is the foundation of Samoa ”).
Coconut palm and the sea symbolize the natural location of the islands in the Pacific Ocean , the cross - the country's Christian traditions. Circles and patterns symbolize geographical latitude and longitude and are similar to the UN flag , whose wardship was Samoa from 1946 to 1962 .
The first coat of arms of Western Samoa was adopted back in 1914 during the reign on the islands of Germany . It depicted three silver coconut palms on a red background, towering above the white-blue sea waves. At the top of the shield was a black Prussian eagle on a silver background. This coat of arms was used for a very short time, since a few months after its adoption, the islands were occupied by New Zealand troops.
During New Zealand domination, a new coat of arms was adopted, which was used until 1951 . It depicted three coconut palms in natural colors against a natural background.
In 1951, a new coat of arms was adopted, which served as a prototype of the modern coat of arms. Unlike the current version, instead of a cross, a golden sun was depicted on it.
Coat of arms of German Samoa
Coat of arms of Western Samoa (1951-1962)
- Samoa flag