Fyodor Fyodorovich Sokolov ( November 12, 1841 , Strelna, Petersburg province - June 1 , 1909 , St. Petersburg ) - Russian Hellenic historian, classic philologist and epigraphist . Professor Emeritus of St. Petersburg University , Corresponding Member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences (12/02/1900). Founder of epigraphy in Russia, creator of the school of epigraphists ( V. K. Ernshtedt , V. V. Latyshev , S. A. Zhebelev )   . Privy Advisor .
|Fedor Fedorovich Sokolov|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Strelna|
|Date of death|
|Place of death||St. Petersburg|
|A country||Russian empire|
|Scientific field||anti-science |
|Place of work||St. Petersburg University , |
Petersburg Institute of History and Philology
|Alma mater||St. Petersburg University (1862)|
|Academic degree||Master of World History (1865)|
|Academic rank||Corresponding Member of SPbAN |
|supervisor||Direction M. S. Kutorgi   |
|Famous students||Acad. V.K. Ernstedt |
Acad. S. A. Zhebelev
Acad. V.V. Latyshev
N. I. Novosadsky 
|Known as||founder of Greek epigraphy in Russia |
|Awards and prizes|
He studied at the St. Petersburg Theological Seminary . In 1858 he entered the Main Pedagogical Institute , which was closed the next year and Sokolov moved to the historical and philological faculty of St. Petersburg University , which he graduated in 1862 with a candidate ’s degree, specializing in general history. Then he spent three years in teacher training courses.
To defend his master's thesis “Critical Studies Relating to the Most Ancient Period of the History of Sicily” (St. Petersburg, 1865), which was also his first work, he was sent on a two-year scientific mission to Germany. Upon his return from abroad in 1867, he began to give lectures on ancient history at St. Petersburg University .
Since 1870 - professor of ancient history and classical philology of the St. Petersburg Institute of History and Philology (PIFI). From 1884 - extraordinary, from October 20, 1890 - ordinary, from September 29, 1892 - Emeritus Professor of St. Petersburg University. In PFI, at the same time in 1871-1891 he acted as the scientific secretary of the conference.
He was a member of the Russian Archaeological Society and took part in the work of its Classical Department.
At the initiative of F.F. Sokolov and former Russian envoy to Athens P.A. Saburov, the Ministry of Public Education began to send young scientists to Greece in 1880 to improve their archeology and epigraphy. In the summer of that year, F.F. Sokolov himself traveled to Greece to establish this matter.
Corresponding Member of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences (12/02/1900) in the Department of History and Philology (category of classical philology and archeology).
On December 29, 1882 he was promoted to full state councilor , and on January 1, 1905 - to privy councilor.
Following M.S. Kutora, he opposed hypercriticism in relation to the ancient tradition. In teaching, he categorically rejected general historical theoretical constructions  .
He was buried at the Smolensk Orthodox Cemetery  .
His second major work after his dissertation on Sicily was devoted to the Homeric question , on which he showed himself to be a staunch unitary, as did M. S. Kutorga  .
- "Homer Question" ("Journal of the Ministry of Public Education", 1868),
- “Comments on the Tribute List of the Athenian Allies” (“Proceedings of the 2nd Archaeological Congress”),
- “The Third Century BC” (Journal of the Ministry of Education, 1886)
The author of a number of articles under the general title "In the field of ancient history."
- ANCIENT GREECE | Encyclopaedia Round the World
- V.S. Sergeev. History of Ancient Greece: Historiography of Ancient Greece
- St. Petersburg Antiquologists
- Sokolov Fedor Fedorovich // Great Soviet Encyclopedia : [in 30 vol.] / Ch. ed. A.M. Prokhorov . - 3rd ed. - M .: Soviet Encyclopedia, 1969-1978.
- Frolov E. D. The Traditions of Classicism and St. Petersburg Antiquity
- About the department
- Division IV // All Petersburg for 1914, address and reference book of St. Petersburg / Ed. A.P. Shashkovsky. - SPb. : Partnership of A. S. Suvorin - “New Time”, 1914. - ISBN 5-94030-052-9 . Grave on the plan of the cemetery.
- Sokolov Fedor Fedorovich // List of civil ranks of the fourth class. Corrected on February 1, 1890. - SPb. : Printing House of the Governing Senate , 1890. - S. 611.
- Fedor Fedorovich Sokolov // Imperial St. Petersburg University // List of persons serving under the Department of the Ministry of Education for 1908. - SPb. : Senate Printing House, 1908. - S. 379.
- Sokolov, Fedor Fedorovich // Brockhaus and Efron Encyclopedic Dictionary : 86 volumes (82 volumes and 4 additional). - SPb. , 1890-1907.
- Sokolov Fedor Fedorovich - article from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia .
- Sokolov, Fedor Fedorovich // Ancient world. Reference dictionary
- Varneke B.V. Old philologists.