Vyazemsky Monastery of St. John the Baptist - the women's monastery of the Vyazma diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church , located in the city of Vyazma, Smolensk region .
|John the Baptist Monastery|
Monastery gate church
|Founding date||1536 year|
|Gate Church of the Ascension of the Lord • Church of the Icon of the Mother of God "Odigitria" • Bell Tower • Refectory|
|Status||No. 6710042000 No. 6710042000|
The foundation was laid in 1535 by Gerasim Boldinsky :
... put a cell to the west of the city of Vyazma, on a high hill, not far from the Bebri River, and began to struggle in the field of spiritual life- "The Life of St. Gerasim"
In 1542, Gerasim Boldinsky received a blessing and a diploma from Metropolitan Macarius and permission from Tsar Ivan Vasilyevich on the basis of the male monastery.
The first wooden church - in the name of John the Baptist, which gave the name of the monastery - was set up in the same year. Under Abbot Simeon, a disciple of Gerasimus, a second wooden church was built - the Church of the Ascension of the Lord.
In 1566 Ivan the Terrible visited the monastery; in 1598 - Boris Godunov ; 1619 - Metropolitan of Rostov and Yaroslavl, the future patriarch Philaret ; in 1654, 1655, 1656, 1657 - Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich ; 1656 - Patriarch Nikon .
In the years of the Troubles, the monastery was repeatedly looted by Polish-Lithuanian troops. But already during the reign of Mikhail Fedorovich , active stone construction began on the territory of the temple. In the place of the wooden church in 1630–1638, a three-brick stone church of Our Lady Odigitriya was erected with chapels in honor of John the Forerunner and Simeon the God-receiver [Comm. 1] . In 1650, under the Archimandrite of Pachomia, a new stone gate church of the Ascension of the Lord was built with a refectory.
From 1665 to 1742 the monastery had a courtyard in Moscow in the parish of the Church of Cosmas and Damian .
In 1692, in the diploma of John and Peter Alekseevich, archimandrite Theodosius was mentioned as the hegumen of the monastery  .
In the 18th century , a seminary was organized in the monastery (1739–1744), translated by nominal decree of Empress Elizaveta Petrovna dated June 21, 1744, to Moscow at the Krutitsy monastery . After the transfer of the seminary to the monastery, a Theological School was established, which existed until 1918 [Comm 2]
In 1750, under Archimandrite Benedict, a temple was built in honor of the icon of the Mother of God “The Sign” .
In 1812 the monastery was plundered, the restoration was slow.
In the 1880s, a stone two-storey hotel building was built under Archimandrite Nazarius [Comm 3]
In 1912, the architect and restorer P. D. Baranovsky conducted research in the monastery, the materials of which formed the basis of the restoration works of 1970–1980.
Under the Soviet regime , the Ascension Cathedral was closed in 1930 , in 1946 the Znamenskaya Church was destroyed. On the territory of the monastery there was a match factory, a brewery  , workshops of the society of the blind, warehouses for city bargaining and pharmacy management. In the 1980s, restoration work began on the territory of the monastery.
In 1990, the Vyazemsky Monastery of St. John the Baptist was reopened; On August 11, 1991, the Ascension Church was consecrated; in 1995, the monastery was transformed into a female; On August 12, 2001, the main throne of the Protectress temple was consecrated; in 2003, the bells of the belfry were consecrated.
- Monument to the founder of the monastery, St. Gerasim of Boldinsky.
- Monument to Major General Alexander Alexandrovich Zherebtsov - Hero of the Patriotic War of 1812 . Established in June 2013  .
- It is believed that the temple was erected with Abbot Guria on donations from the royal treasury in the 1630s. Nevertheless, the Church of Odigitria was not recorded in the census book of 1673 on the territory of the monastery (see the 7 wonders of the Smolensk region in Vyazma land ). The three-chamber stone church of the Mother of God Odigitriya is a unique architectural monument: only a few such temples remain in Russia (Church of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos in the Alekseevsky Monastery in Uglich, Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos in Putinki - in Moscow). The temple was badly damaged in 1812, and for a long time stood in disrepair. With donations from parishioners and Vyazma merchants, it was restored and consecrated under Archimandrite Benjamin in 1832–37. In 1912, a study was conducted of the state of the Odigitrievsky temple by the architect-restorer P. D. Baranovsky, the materials of which formed the basis of the restoration works of 1960-1980. The temple is included by UNESCO in the number of monuments of world importance.
- Macarius of Altai (1800–1803), bishops Hilarion (Yushenov) (from 1833), Arseny (Bryantsev) and Ioasaph (Lelyukhin) , theologian I. V. Popov , archpriest DI Shiryaev (см biography ), holy righteous Alexy Yuzhinsky ( Medvedkov ), writer M. A. Sokolov , scientist V. V. Dokuchaev , local historian N. M. Chernavsky (see the biography Archival copy from January 12, 2017 on Wayback Machine )
- Corps destroyed after the 1917 revolution. The first floor was restored on the old foundation of the Vyazemsky restoration site in the second half of the 1980s. The second floor and the roof were built in 1991-1994.
- A brief description ... of the Bizyukov Monastery / Ambrose (Ornatsky) The History of the Russian Hierarchy - Moscow: Synod Type., 1807–1815. - Part 2. - p. 579.
- brewery was opened after World War II .
- In the Smolensk region, a monument to the hero of the war of 1812