Vasily Pavlovich Zubov ( August 1, 1900 - April 8, 1963 ) - Soviet philosopher , science historian, art historian , encyclopedist and translator, who went down in the history of the humanities of Russia as “Russian Leonardo ” due to the depth and versatility of his scientific interests  . Doctor of Art. Specialist in a number of areas of art history, including general issues of theory, history and philosophy of art, antiquity , the Middle Ages , Renaissance , architecture of Ancient Russia . The author of more than 200 scientific papers. For many years he worked as secretary of the Academic Council for the restoration of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra .
|Vasily Pavlovich Zubov|
|Date of Birth|
|Place of Birth||Alexandrov , |
Vladimir province ,
|Date of death|
|Place of death|
philosopher , historian of science, art critic , translator
|Place of work|
|Alma mater||University of Moscow|
|Awards and prizes|
[d] ( 1963 )
Father - Pavel Vasilyevich Zubov (1862-1921), thermochemist , numismatist , violinist, chairman of the guardianship of the poor of the Rogozh part, holder of the rarest bowed instruments of Stradivari, Guarneri, Ruggeri, Amati. He collected a valuable collection of Russian and Oriental coins, as well as a rich library of numismatics, which in 1900 he bequeathed to the Historical Museum in Moscow.
Mother - Natalia Mitrofanovna, nee Gracheva, pianist and poetess, was a strict teacher of her four children.
He received a good home education, from childhood he studied foreign languages and music. Baptized in the church of St. Martin the Confessor. He was brought up in the family in the spirit of the Orthodox faith . In 1912, after home schooling, he passed the exam in the third grade of A.E. Flerov's gymnasium, which he graduated with a gold medal in 1918.
After graduating from high school in 1918 he entered the philosophical department of Moscow University . In August 1919 he was mobilized into the Red Army. Due to his health condition (severe myopia) he was released from military service and was appointed clerk to the 1st reserve artillery brigade, stationed in the Khodynsky barracks. Heading from the service to the Rumyantsev library, he often went to St. Basil's Cathedral , his heavenly patron. In his diary, Vasily wrote
On the way back - the fantastic St. Basil's Cathedral in a soft night, among the snows. He outlived the Poles, the French - outlives us too ...
The diary writes about music, nature, temples and books read.
The days are sunny. Snow fell at night ... I remember the blind man at the door of the Kazan Cathedral! Allegorical! It is I myself at the door of the knowledge of God. I was in the chapel of the Iveron Mother of God ... All the fates of my life are invisibly and mysteriously predetermined from here.
Was in the small hall of the Conservatory ... Debussy, who attracted me, was canceled. But ujuille I listened with pleasure. Thought: in music - the most exposed discovery of the Absolute. In sounds, the divine essence is revealed directly, without intermediaries (recall the harmony of the spheres). I understand more and more that this time was fasting in rhythm: I played little and did not read poetry at all. And the rhythm for the soul is the same bread for the body.
In May 1920, he was demobilized. Soon he returned to the University, where he studied with such famous scientists as G.I. Chelpanov , G.G.Shpet , I.A. Ilyin , Kapterev Pyotr Fedorovich , S.L. Frank , I.V. Popov. In the spring of 1921, the philosophical department of Moscow University was closed. Vasily Zubov graduated from the University in 1922 and in 1923 became an employee of the Philosophical Branch of the State Academy of Art Sciences (GAKHN).
Work in the State Academy of Agricultural Sciences (1922-1929)
During his work at the State Academy of Arts, Vasily Zubov made 15 reports at meetings of the philosophical and sociological departments on the history of optics , perspective theory and the doctrine of color, and Russian and German aesthetics . He wrote articles for a dictionary of Russian artistic and philosophical terminology. During this period, Vasily Zubov wrote an essay on the history of Russian sermon on the example of building sermons of the largest Russian theologians of the late XVIII-XIX centuries: St. Dimitry of Rostov , Metropolitan Plato (Levshin) , Metropolitan Filaret (Drozdov) , Archbishop Innocent (Borisov) , in which the author's philosophical, philological and theological knowledge was clearly manifested.
In 1926, Vasily Zubov married Mariamna Nikolaevna Vadeeva. In 1931 they had a son, Pavel, and in 1939, their daughter Maria , a Soviet animator, art critic    .
In 1927-1930, Vasily Zubov wrote a family chronicle of the Zubovs and Polezhaevs based on letters, documents, and oral family traditions. The chronicle includes 25 chapters telling about the life, work and prayer of Russian people of different classes, and takes up three notebooks with a total volume of 752 pages.
I remember that I was thinking then - my great-grandfather donated money to educate the pagans, the Volga grain merchant knew the truth with the right instinct, the true path of Russia was that the crown of Russian culture was the glory of Christianity and the Orthodox Church.
In 1935-1945 he worked at the Academy of Architecture. Since 1945 he worked at the Institute of the History of Natural History. During this period of his life, he studied the biography and creative heritage of Nikolai Oremsky . In 1958 he translated (for the first time into Russian) and commented on his “Treatise on the configurations of qualities and movements” (Tractatus de configurationibus qualitatum et motuum).
He was buried at Vvedensky cemetery .
- Zubov V.P. Historiography of the natural sciences in Russia (XVIII - first half of the XIX century). - M .: Academy of Sciences, 1956. - 2000 copies.
- Zubov V.P. Aristotle. - M .: Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 1963.
- Zubov V.P. Aristotle: Man. The science. The fate of the heritage. - Ed. 3rd - 2009 .-- 368 p.
- Zubov V.P. Development of atomistic representations until the beginning of the 19th century - 1965.
- Zubov V.P. Proceedings on the history and theory of architecture . - M .: Art History, 2000 .-- 525 p. Archived July 18, 2007.
- Zubov V.P. Architectural theory of Alberti. - St. Petersburg: Aletheia, 2001 .-- 461 p. - ISBN 5-89329-450-5 .
- Zubov V.P. Russian Preachers: Essays on the History of Russian Sermon . - Editorial URSS, 2001 .-- 232 p. - ISBN 5-8360-0292-4 . Archived March 5, 2016 on the Wayback Machine .
- Zubov V.P. Selected Works on the History of Philosophy and Aesthetics, 1917-1930 // Comp. M.V. Zubova. - M .: Indrik, 2004 .-- 446 p. - ISBN 5-89329-851-9 .
- Zubov V.P. From the History of World Science: Selected Works, 1921-1963 . - St. Petersburg: Aletheia, 2006 .-- 612 p. - ISBN 5-89329-851-9 .
- Teeth V.P. Leonardo da Vinci. 1452-1519. - Ed. 2nd. - Oriental literature, 2008. - ( Scientific and biographical literature ). - ISBN 978-5-02-035645-0 .
Translator and commentator on architectural, mathematical, musical-theoretical, philosophical treatises written by the authors of antiquity, the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, including:
- L. B. Alberti . Ten books on architecture (1935-1937).
- Daniele Barbaro. Commentary on ten books on the architecture of Vitruvius (1938).
- Nikolay Orem . On the commensurability or incommensurability of the movements of the sky (1960).
- Nikolay Orem . On the configuration of qualities (1960).
- Thomas Bradwardine . On the continuum (1960).
- Jean Buridan . About the Point (1961, publ. 2003)
- Augustine Six books about music (fragments, publ. 1966)
- Boethius . Instructions for music (fragments, publ. 1966)
- Boethius . Manual to arithmetic (fragments, publ. 1966)
- I. Kant . Metaphysical principles of natural science (publ. 1966)
- To the question of the nature of Old Russian mathematics // Uspekhi Matematicheskikh Nauk , 7: 3 (49) (1952), 83-96.
- Architecture of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius. Historical essay // Trinity collection. No. 2. Sergiev Posad, 2002.
- Architectural and theoretical heritage and the tasks of its study // Architecture. Collection of articles on creative issues. I. Under the general. ed. A. G. Mordvinova. M., State Architectural Publishing House, 1945.
V.P. Zubov's studies on ancient Russian spiritual culture include articles on Russian translations and processings in the 17th century. works of Aristotle; notes on translated in the X century. in Bulgaria, the philosophical and theological treatise of John Damascene, "Source of Knowledge", included in the XVI century. the "Great Chetii-Minei" Metropolitan Macarius; the article “Questions about the“ indivisible ”and the infinite in the ancient Russian monument of the 15th century” (1953); publication, notes and translation of the work of Kirik Novgorodts (1953); the article " Epiphanius the Wise and Pachomius Serb " (TODRL. - M .; L., 1953, v. 9, p. 145-158) and other works.
Rewards and memory
- Full member of the International Academy of the History of Science (1960).
- George Sarton Medal (1963, posthumous) - for his contribution to the development of the history of science.
- In March 1970, the grand opening of the memorial plaque with the inscription
Prominent figures of Russian science and culture Pavel Vasilievich and Vasily Pavlovich Zubov lived and worked in this house.
- In 2000, an international scientific conference was held dedicated to the centenary of the birth of V.P. Zubov: "Science and art in the culture of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance."
- Zubov Vasily Pavlovich: Materials for the bibliography // comp. M.V. Zubova. Moscow: Janus-K, 2010. ISBN 978-5-8037-0493-5 (contains a complete list of publications by V.P. Zubov)
- Avdeenkov A.N. Zubov Vasily Pavlovich // Russian Philosophy: Encyclopedia / Under the general. ed. M.A. Maslin; comp. P.P. Apryshko, A.P. Polyakov. −2th ed., Dorab. and add. - M .: Book club Knigovek, 2014.S. 205.
- Gavryushin N. K. "Metamorphology" and theology: Vasily Pavlovich Zubov // Gavryushin N. K. Russian theology. Essays and portraits. Nizhny Novgorod, 2011.
- Avdeenkov A.N. V.P. Zubov and his approach to the analysis of Renaissance culture // Bulletin of Moscow State University. Series 7. Philosophy. No. 4. M., 2014.
- Avdeenkov A. N. Heritage of S. N. Bulgakov in the context of V. P. Zubov’s creative search: problems of the philosophy of science // Bulgakov readings: Collection of scientific articles based on the materials of the VIII All-Russian Scientific Conference with International Participation / Ed. ed. L.I. Plowman. - Eagle: LLC Kartush, 2015. Ss. 50-55.