The national guard of the name Ivan Franko is an anti-fascist underground organization in Lviv and in general in the Galician regions (Lviv, Drohobych, Ternopol, Ivano-Frankivsk)   , which operated during the Nazi occupation in 1942 - 1944 . The organization chose the name of the Ukrainian socialist writer Ivan Franko .
The Ivan Franko National Guard was formed in Lviv by members of the CPSU (b) , the Polish Workers' Party (PPR) and former members of the dissolved Communist Party of Western Ukraine  . The organizers and leaders of the People's Guard were N. D. Berezin, I. P. Vovk, T. A. Gayevsky, V. A. Grushin, I. V. Dubas, Karol Kurilyuk, I. P. Kurilovich, P. P. Perchinsky , A.P. Polubyak, E.G. Tsibrukh and others. The governing center of the People’s Guard was the Military Council, the organization had a charter and the text of the oath. The organization brought together more than 600 people  .
Underground workers published newspapers and leaflets in Ukrainian and Polish, with calls for the fight against the Nazis, as well as Ukrainian and Polish nationalists  . The I. Franko National Guard included partisan detachments, 7 organizations and battle groups  .
One of the leaders of the organization was the district commissioner of the 1st police station in Lviv I. Vovk. Underground workers burned the Oykus factory, which produced spare parts for German aircraft, and disabled six aircraft at the airport. The People’s Guards derailed over 30 enemy echelons with equipment and manpower, damaged 22 railway bridges, destroyed 10 industrial enterprises, 238 administrative facilities, institutions, stock exchanges, police posts, trains with weapons, fuel and grain, destroyed up to 1,500 enemy soldiers and officers. With their help, more than 600 Red Army soldiers fled from prisoner of war camps  .
The People’s Guard maintained contact with the communist underground Bolekhov  , Tlumach  , an underground Jewish organization in the city of Brody   .
Members of the People’s Guard V. N. Sergovantsev, D. E. Tsibrukh, E. Perebiinos carried newspapers and postcards to Bolekhov, performed various tasks of the management center. In February 1944, after the arrest in Lviv of a number of national guards, V. N. Sergovantsev was hiding in Bolekhov , where he remained until the arrival of the Red Army  . In March 1944, the People’s Guard established contact with the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine and the Ukrainian headquarters of the partisan movement  . Despite the arrests and death of part of the leadership, the underground organization continued to fight until the arrival of Soviet troops  .
- In 1957 - 1990 , the current Stefan Yavorsky Square in Lviv was called the Ivan Franko People’s Guard Square  .
- In 1979, a monument to members of the organization was erected on the street - a memorial to fighters for the Power of the Soviets (sculptor I. Sadovsky, architect A. Consulov), which was demolished in the 1990s by decision of the Lviv city council.
Reflection in Art
A film studio named after Alexander Dovzhenko made the film “Ivanna” (directed by Viktor Ivchenko ) about the fate of a patriotic girl who joined the ranks of the people's guard and died at the hands of the invaders  .
- Photo of the memorial sign to the fighters for Soviet Power in Lviv 1980
- Kuznetsov, Nikolai Ivanovich (scout)
- Strutinsky, Nikolai Vladimirovich
- Dmitry Nikolaevich Medvedev
- Occasional Land of Ukraine in Other World History: the historical and historical aspect (1939-1944 pp.)
- "On the Dniester", a Guide for water tourists. Ed. "Carpathians", Uzhgorod, 1969. The book of water routes along the Dniester (from the village of Strelka), Stryu, Seret, Zbruch
- The meaning of the word “People’s Guard” in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia
- Head of the Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine in Lviv Oblast: History of Management Archived on April 2, 2009.
- Іstorіya mіsta Bolekhіv
- History of Tlumach, Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast
- Brody. Electronic Jewish Encyclopedia
- Jewish underground (inaccessible link)
- Vulitsa Shevska and Yavorsky Square
- Rocky and film studios imeni O. Dovzhenko
Literature and Sources
- Ph.D. A.M. Chernenko. People's Guard. // Heroes of the underground. About the underground struggle of Soviet patriots behind the Nazi invaders during the Great Patriotic War. / comp. V.E. Bystrov. M., Politizdat, 1965. pp. 233-272
- V.D. Varyagina. National Guard of the Name of Ivan Franko: sides of the heroic struggle of the partisan-guerrilla organization of the outlying regions of Ukraine. 1942-1944 Rocky / V.D. Varyagina, G.S. Vakulenko. Lviv, "Kamenyar", 1979. - 229 pp.