Merion ( dr. Greek Μηριόνης ) - a character of ancient Greek mythology  , a Cretan, a participant in the Trojan War. The son of Melfida and Maul  , (half-brother of Idomeneos ), the grandson of Minos or the son of Ares  . The bridegroom of Elena  . From Likt  . According to the version, he brought 40 ships under Troy  . In the Iliad, he killed 7 Trojans named by name. According to Gigin, in total he killed 7 outstanding soldiers  . He sat in a Trojan horse  . According to one interpretation, his name denotes the Cretan custom of sodomy  (the name was understood as a derivative of the Meros - hip), which is associated with the mention of his joint burial with Idomeneos (like Achilles and Patroclus ).
According to one version, he safely returned to his homeland. In Knossos was his joint tomb with Idomeneos . The Cretans especially honored these heroes, offering them sacrifices  . According to another story, after the capture of Troy, Merion came to Sicily. There was the city of Engy, founded by the Cretans, who came with Minos  .
- Myths of the peoples of the world. M., 1991-92. In 2 t. T. 2. P.139, Lubker F. The Real Dictionary of Classical Antiquities. M., 2001. In 3 vol. T. 2. S.385
- Gigin. Myths 97
- Euripides. Iphigenia in Aulis 201
- Gigin. Myths 81
- Homer. Iliad XVII 611
- Gigin. Myths 114
- Quintus of Smyrna. After Homer XII 343
- Sextus Empiricism. Pyrrhonic provisions III 199
- Diodorus of Sicily. Historical Library V 79, 4
- Diodorus of Sicily. Historical Library IV 79, 6